How do you use your sighters?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
honeybadger

How do you use your sighters?

Post by honeybadger »

Looking for discussion of how to best use your sighting shots. I know this will vary with discipline (no need to track the wind if you are shooting AP...).

My last match, I only took two shots, enough to let me know my sights were on. Soon after I regretted this, as I could have taken a few during which I paid attention to other elements of the match environment .... yeah, I'm new at this.
rmca

Post by rmca »

I use my sighting shoots to:

- Check my sights, and click them if need be
- Adjust to the light and fine tune the shooting position in relation to the target. Look for features in the floor that help you relocate the position of your feet after you take a break during the match.
- Calm down, and build confidence in my shooting.
- Establish a rhythm that carries on in the match.

You have 15 minutes, use them! You cannot take them home! :)

Most important part of it all?
You've learned that you should have used all of those 15 minutes!

Hope this helps
scausi

sighting shots

Post by scausi »

Lets assume your pistol is sighted in , because if it is, there is really no need for adjustments if you were shooting 10,s last time your pistol is still set up the same , and i dont think any light changes will effect you dramaticaly: you can move a click if you want it may put a positive thought process in to your mind but more often than not it is the shooter because they are not in their zone yet. So it comes down to you making the shot ,just as if it was a match shot. their should be no differance, so now you have establised this ,its all about you relaxing and focusing on what you need to do, to get off the shot thats the goal of every shooter, at any level .
Dont allow negative thoughts to enter into your head, always think positve. cheers S
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

As a warm-up

To see if I'm grouping or need to calm down, focus on some element or other (usually trigger control)

To see if I'm more or less sighted in for the range (bearing in mind my first series usually goes a little low)

To see if I remembered to reset my sights from duelling/rapidfire or vice versa
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As mentioned you have 15 minutes but you certainly don't need to use it all. I typically shoot a few shots to get the gun sighted in as well as half dozen or so to get myself in the correct frame of mind, after that I go sit down for 5 minutes or so. In total that's about 8-10 shots so I know I can do that in 6 or 7 minutes.

Rob.