Bloop Tube

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bob Mccollum

Bloop Tube

Post by Bob Mccollum »

My son shoots 3P and we are looking to help him improve some scores, we have heard about a Bloop Tube, besides extending the sight radius hat are the advantages of adding a blop tube and if wedecide to add one , is thee on better than another. I know tht is a loaded question but I wouldlove to see everyones opinion on the ones they like.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Bloop tube pro's:

Increased sight radius can help those with aging eyes and may reduce paralax errors when aiming.
Added weight forward of the muzzle might possibly have some "tuning" effect on the barrel.
Possibly reduced muzzle flip.
Wobble can become more noticeable

Bloop Tube con's:

Acts like a sail in the wind
Changes the balance of the rifle.
Wobble can become more noticeable
Increased weight forward of the muzzle might increase pain in support hand.
May require a 4mm raising block under the rearsight.

YMMV.
Regards,
Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The main advantage, and reason to add, a bloop tube to a rifle is to increase the sight radius. Placing the foresight further away reduces the effect of aiming error. However the longer sight radius makes any wobble in your hold more conspicuous. Because of this, some shooters will remove the tube, or place the foresight at the muzzle end, in the standing position.

A side effect of a bloop tube is that the rifle becomes more muzzle heavy; there are some carbon fibre tubes that would lessen this. Some shooters like the change in balance, others put up with it for the increase in aiming accuracy, others take the tube off. The tube can also affect the vibration pattern of the barrel as it fires. In some cases the effect is positive and reduces group size, in others there is no change (sometimes point of impact), but sometimes the weight can increase group size. There are several tube that come with a built in weight that is intended to "tune" the barrel.
1813benny

Re: Bloop Tube

Post by 1813benny »

Bob Mccollum wrote:My son shoots 3P and we are looking to help him improve some scores, we have heard about a Bloop Tube, besides extending the sight radius hat are the advantages of adding a blop tube and if wedecide to add one , is thee on better than another. I know tht is a loaded question but I wouldlove to see everyones opinion on the ones they like.
What level is you son performing at in 3-position?
Ken
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

A bloop tube is a pretty simple device, so other than looks thete is not a lot of functional difference between them. I've used the BeeSting tubes. Well made, light, made of carbon fiber, fairly expensive...

If you are "trying to improve scores" as you stated, I doubt a bloop tube is going to help. Someone asked what skill level your son is. Unless he is a very high level shooter a tube will be of little if any help and may actually hurt. A longer sight radius is about the only advantage and that is only an advantage if you have a very good hold. Just because Jamie Gray and Eric Uptagraph use them, doesn't mean everyone will benefit from one.

We've been there done that with tubes, and probably will again.... but for now my daughter shoots a 26" barrel, no tube. If you want to have a tube or if it will give him a mental confidence boost, then give one a try. Just don't expect to see a big (or small either) score jump because of the tube.