LP10(E) Compacts accuracy?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ponpon7

LP10(E) Compacts accuracy?

Post by ponpon7 »

Hello all,

LP10(E) Compact version has a shorter barrel, and I am curious that is it as accurate as the Long barrel version?

Is there anyone who has compact version and has experience about it?

There is no compact one in our club so I don't have chance to try...

Thanks in advance!
nick marshall

Short barrel

Post by nick marshall »

I hasn't owned a LP10e short.
But I have owned short Steyrs and still own a short or compact Morini 162ei.
Going by the test groups supplied with these pistols
They both had a very slight larger group, this indicates to me, there not quite as accurate.
However, not enough to cause concern.
ponpon7

Re: Short barrel

Post by ponpon7 »

nick marshall wrote:I hasn't owned a LP10e short.
But I have owned short Steyrs and still own a short or compact Morini 162ei.
Going by the test groups supplied with these pistols
They both had a very slight larger group, this indicates to me, there not quite as accurate.
However, not enough to cause concern.
Hello Nick,

You mean you compared the Steyr (LP10 ?) short and Morini 162EI short, and they have the same group size?
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

My Morini short put 5 pellets through the same hole at 10 m, just looked like one pellet had gone through (while held in a vise of course).
There is a thread on here somewhere explaining how a short barrel is more "accurate" than a longer one due to the relative greater stiffness.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Silvershooter wrote:There is a thread on here somewhere explaining how a short barrel is more "accurate" than a longer one due to the relative greater stiffness.
Perhaps if you are talking centre fire rifles. But I doubt that barrel harmonics/stiffness are an accuracy factor with recoiless air pistols.
trinity

Post by trinity »

I own an LP10 long and over time, converted it to a short because I like the balance on the short (compact) better. I also have shot a Morini short for many years (my personal best was shot with a Morini short).

Technically, the shorter barrel may have slightly less accuracy than the long. But both long and short versions are extremely accurate. They will all shoot pellets in a group that will easily hold inside the 10 ring all day. Either gun will out shoot you, me, or even an Olympic champion.

I would suggest you choose the gun based on how it feels to you, rather than how technically will perform. As I said, any Olympic class gun will easily out shoot the shooter.

-trinity
ponpon7

Post by ponpon7 »

Thanks for all of your replies!

Actually I've been using Morini CM162EI for about one year, and my scores in competitions are around 550-560.

I always feel CM162 is heavy and don't like its balance and recoil.

So, I would like to buy compact version of LP10 (or LP10E).

But, unfortunately there is no compact version in my country I can try.....
trinity wrote:I own an LP10 long and over time, converted it to a short because I like the balance on the short (compact) better. I also have shot a Morini short for many years (my personal best was shot with a Morini short).
Hello Trinity, do you have the same feel of the compact one's recoil compared to the long version?

And, the compact version helps you have better groups or scores?

Thanks a lot!

ponpon7
trinity

Post by trinity »

ponpon7 wrote:Thanks for all of your replies!

Hello Trinity, do you have the same feel of the compact one's recoil compared to the long version?

And, the compact version helps you have better groups or scores?

Thanks a lot!

ponpon7
I don't think I can tell a difference between the recoil of the LP10 long vs the compact. The recoil absorber works the same, only the barrel is longer in one. In general the LP10's recoil is significantly less than the Morini's, so much that if you execute the shot correctly, the gun almost doesn't move at all.

It is hard to say if the compact version has helped me in either groups or scores. I shot the long version quite some time ago. I stopped shooting it because the long versions of any of these pistols just feel nose heavy for me. The short versions feel more balanced and I don't have to struggle to keep the nose up.

I would caution against putting too much expectations of changes in score based on any gun. At the end of the day, it is really the shooter that determines the outcome.

-trinity