Eye Floaters

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

MRKilby

Eye Floaters

Post by MRKilby »

Hi all,

Despite having rather good eye vision, one of my greatest problems during shooting has been eye floaters. I've noticed them ever since I started shooting about 4 years ago and they have over time become a larger and larger hassle, to the point where they are affecting me through almost every shot. I have some good days and bad days, where eye floaters are almost unnoticeable or are a complete distraction but nevertheless they are a relatively constant concern.

I use eye drops quite frequently to try and minimise the amount of floaters, however my success with eye drops is largely hit and miss with some days the drops working perfectly and others having almost no effect at all.

I plan on seeing an optometrist soon to see if they have any suggestions, but I was just curious as to anyone else who is having a problem with floaters and any "solutions" you may have that helps you a lot? I realise we practically all notice them at some stage, but they're becoming ridiculous at the moment, almost rendering my sight picture invisible as I see streams of floaters and liquid floating past. (Again this is not an everyday problem for shooting, but it crops up every now and then).

- MKilby
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Minimise coffee drinking, stay hydrated, try not to move your eyes too much.

I have to look just below the aiming area and pick up the sights quite late or I get an effect of a jellyfish swimming up my field of vision.
MRKilby

Post by MRKilby »

Thanks James,

Yeah I keep coffee on the down low for a few days before training and have been doing the same thing with only looking through the sights until the last sight rise, otherwise yeah all hell goes loose with the floaters.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi MRKilby, I recommend you do not see an Optometrist; instead, go to an

Opthamologist. The Opthamologist is far more qualified for proper diagnosis.

You may even have a detached Vitreous, which really can cause some awesome

floaters. I don't know your age, but it's also possible that you may need

Cataract surgery. Usually floaters are eventually absorbed; with time being

the only recourse for recovery. Seriously, best of luck, and do see the Opthamologist,

because he/she has the medical degree(MD).

Tony
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

paw080 wrote:Hi MRKilby, I recommend you do not see an Optometrist; instead, go to an

Opthamologist. The Opthamologist is far more qualified for proper diagnosis.

You may even have a detached Vitreous, which really can cause some awesome

floaters. I don't know your age, but it's also possible that you may need

Cataract surgery. Usually floaters are eventually absorbed; with time being

the only recourse for recovery. Seriously, best of luck, and do see the Opthamologist,

because he/she has the medical degree(MD).

Tony
I agree with Tony. I had torn retinas in both eyes. I had multiple laser surgeries to prevent further impairment. Ignoring problems like this could lead to permanent loss of vision. These problems are very common.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought floaters were an internal issue, so eye drops won't cleanse them away. I had my eyes laser-ed and was told that if anyone experiences a 'sudden flush' of floaters they must consult a Doctor.

Hope this helps

TommyH
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Agree on seeing a doctor. Your vision is much too precious to just hope that it gets better, or (worse) to listen to internet input on a medical condition.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Go see a doctor. Don't mess with your sight.
RossM

Post by RossM »

I have had them for ever. They are more prevalent in Indoor shooting. But still present in outdoor.

I now use them to an advantage as they begin to pass over the foresight. The instant that they pass over gives one of the clearest sight pictures you can get. When I see one floating down, I get ready and hang on the trigger until that moment appears. It's not very shot though.
MRKilby

Post by MRKilby »

Hey thanks guys,

I'll get some appointment sorted out some stage soon, when my exams are over. I'm only 18, so I don't think my eyes are wearing out anytime soon, not to mention they have suffered zero prior problems, but I agree these could very well be an internal issue as they are a common problem.

- MKilby
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

MRKilby wrote: I'm only 18, so I don't think my eyes are wearing out anytime soon
- MKilby
If it's any consolation, I've also been dealing with floaters since my teen years (I'm now 55 yrs old). As others have suggested, see an opthalmologist just to cover your bases. And, as you go through life, if floaters are the only vision issue that you have to deal with, be thankful.

Keep 'em in the ten ring!

Mike
OzzieM

Post by OzzieM »

I had problems with floaters until I increased my water intake to near recommended levels. Problem solved. BTW, I am 71 years old.

OzzieM