Downside to Targets on Copier Paper?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ihasagun

Downside to Targets on Copier Paper?

Post by ihasagun »

Whats the downside?

I've been having trouble ordering more 10m air rifle targets lately, especially ones that can be cut to fit my pellet trap.

Is there some compelling reason people just don't copy multiple bulls to a piece of paper and cut them to size?
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

No reason not to do it.
To get cleaner holes use a heavier paper than the usual 20 pound.
I would go to the heaviest your printer will handle.
I have used the backside of an A36 or A17, the CMP target is the best.
If you use the thin paper, back it up with a piece of cardboard.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Krueger ship internationally and that's where I get my targets from. The downside to copier paper targets is the uneven holes which tear rather than punch through the paper. Shooting paper is made with much finer paper fibres.

Rob.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Does anybody know what the actual paper specification is?
montster

Making a cheap target better

Post by montster »

I bought a bunch of just okay targets. I found if I reinforced the back of the bull with a short piece of paper packing tape the holes are much cleaner. Masking tape not as good. Only cover the back side of the area you expect to hit. If you get 3 or 4 holes just touching the tape tends to create one big hole. So far from perfect solution.

When I compere to a quality target the holes aren't as clean but not bad for half the cost.

Also my home range is in the garage and summer time with high humidity results in holes not as clean as winter/low humidity. So drying out the paper in a oven could help. Too much trouble for me. Just tape the back.
honeybadger

Post by honeybadger »

The nice thing about copy paper is you can print and shoot mandalas. Shooting as meditation, just remember to focus on your breathing!

I started my son shooting by having him draw mosquitos (not life size) on a sheet of copy paper, which we taped over the pellet trap.

But "real" targets aren't that expensive, are they? They have a long shelf life, so you can order a few thousand at a time.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I use 60lb copier paper with a backer and get good results. When the backer gets shot out your holes begin to tear. I have also printed on the backside of some Krueger Air rifle targets I had a big surplus of and that worked great.

I attached a couple of targets I use.

I shoot the PDF target with 2 bulls first then I switch over to the 4 bull target this gives me the most mileage out of my backers.

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
conradin

Post by conradin »

I use SCATT to print reduce size target for dry firing purposes. I just purchased the hardest (thickest) but nice high quality printer paper. Card Stock. I also make sure it has the same beige color.

Do prepare to hand feed the paper, because it may be too stiff for the automatic feeder to handle it.