Air Rifle Time Rules / Sighters

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

That's what I am talking about!!
Good job Joel. What do the rest of you think? Any other ideas?

Should the extra sighting time be included or separate for each stage?

What about air rifle? how should that work?

Marcus
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Joels times for 3p, I think, would include unlimited sighters for prone and Standing. They are still unlimited with the new rules. Only K has limited, by time.

Philosophically If we are training young shooters to start a match at a certain time, the more often they do it the better! I wouldn't be opposed to a prep and sighting time for each stage with a hard start, air or 3P.
The prep and sighting times in the 3p final are too short for younger shooters...cant discourage them.
james
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

redschietti wrote:Joels times for 3p, I think, would include unlimited sighters for prone and Standing. They are still unlimited with the new rules. Only K has limited, by time.
James ... my timeline suggestions are for, in a 3x40, when we can only hang two targets at a time. Blocktime is totally different as you mention.
Marcus "DiNozzo'd" me for my comment that I shoot blocktime ... :-)
So, the previous was my suggestions for times for organization who could only hang 2 at a time.

---edit --- I reread your comment james ... you are correct, unlimited sighters in each firing stage, if there is no "add on time". If you add on the 5 minutes then it's hard to be unlimited in 5 min.
Again, the times I mentioned, and only the 3 min preps, I personally think are sufficient even with unlimited sighters ... all about time management and focus.

On the Finals issue, we do differ there. Finals were meant to be quick and "exciting". While I'll admit it is difficult, even for experienced shooters, to get the hang of it, practice does get them thinking on how to be organized.

We had a great set of practice FINAL sessions last year at Rocky with the AMU shooters giving all tips/tricks to saving, and not wasting, time in the changeover periods and I think those sessions as well as the practice FINAL sessions we had between then and Nationals/Plzen were a major reason Rachel was able to do so well this summer ... her issue on the Open final was not disorganization, but not double checking and having her front sight on too loose (???!!!???). Once she tightened it up and got it straight on the dovetail, she was fine in the JR Final and Plzen.
ravensedge

Post by ravensedge »

Thanks for all the replies - I feel better knowing there was an oversight in the rules and it wasn't just my lack of understanding. I did go to USA Shooting with my question and got the email from Marcus. Tyler answered in a few minutes and Marcus within a few hours - thanks for the prompt attention. We have to shoot an air match tomorrow and we are going with 3 minutes prep and 5 minutes sighters until something official comes along.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

"The prep and sighting times in the 3p final are too short for younger shooters"

I was thinking along the lines that the prep/sighting times for a final set a precidence for a 3p match shot in stages. They are pushing the limit for experienced shooters. They are too short for local matches with shooters of limited experience. Some wouldnt even get a shot off and thats unfair if scores are being compared to those with unlimited sighters in block time. I watched a shooter at JOs shoot 30 ish sighters in standing...maybe you did too..very experienced shooter.

I have no problems with the "new" finals for the experienced shooters that make them. Im just stating the times arent fair for a match
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

redschietti wrote:I watched a shooter at JOs shoot 30 ish sighters in standing...maybe you did too..very experienced shooter.
Snicker ... I was wondering if she was going to have to break position and start all over again if she ran out of ammo.
Nature of the sport ... some days are just ... H.A.R.D.