Hammerli 162 Maintenance (PIC)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

I purchased a Hammerli 162 FP in 1997, immediately shot 50 rounds through it to test it for function, removed the batteries, put it in my safe for storage and promptly forgot about it. I recently decided I'd take it out of the safe and shoot it some. I found, however, that the pistol would no longer function reliably. I think the capacitor on the circuit board had "dried up." I replaced the circuit board and, fortunately, the pistol once again is reliable. I plan to shoot it with some frequency.

My question... Other than cleaning the bore and breech block, what should I do to maintain the pistol?

Here is a photo of my newly re-discovered FP:
scerir

Re: Hammerli 162 Maintenance (PIC)

Post by scerir »

GoodGuy wrote: Other than cleaning the bore and breech block, what should I do to maintain the pistol?
Remember that the carbon foresight mount is glued on the barrel. So it is possible it comes off.
Sportzkidz

Post by Sportzkidz »

I love mine. Great Gun to shoot and very low maintenance!
conradin

Post by conradin »

What is the headphone for?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

conradin wrote:What is the headphone for?
Dry fire. Plug it in the fore end.
I find it not necessary with mine.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

After reading some other older postings, I decided to inspect the solenoid. The small striker pin seemed a bit sluggish. I was initially hesitant to disassemble the pistol but, after studying the exploded diagram in the manual, I decided to give it a try. I removed the grip and part of the grip frame (lots of screws) and eventually got it to a state where I could get to the solenoid. I removed the solenoid, opened it, and cleaned the striker shaft. I got everything put back together. No issues. The striker pin moves much more freely now and, I think, that will enhance the pistol's reliability.

I plan to sight it in sometime next week. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it after that. I think I will probably use it some to shoot squirrels. That might be fun.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Freepistol wrote:
So that you can hear sound of "bang bang"?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

conradin wrote:
Freepistol wrote:
Not really "bang, bang," but "click, click, click." I can do three "shots" before I put the pistol down when practicing hold and dry fire.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Freepistol wrote:
conradin wrote:
Freepistol wrote:
Not really "bang, bang," but "click, click, click." I can do three "shots" before I put the pistol down when practicing hold and dry fire.
Why do you need to do that? Do you mean that unlike the Morini, there is NO sound whatsoever when dry firing?

I don't care about the sound of Morini (the click click), I only care about how it feels.
rmca

Post by rmca »

GoodGuy wrote:I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it after that. I think I will probably use it some to shoot squirrels.
It's a free pistol, it's meant to shot targets at 50 meters, possibly the hardest pistol discipline...

Try it first as it is intended to be used, you mite actually like it!

Do not demote it to a squirrel gun...
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Yes, the ear-phones are used for "dry firing" the pistol. The pistol does not need to be cocked (and should not be cocked) or otherwise "set" for dry firing. All one has to do is to plug the ear-phones into the pistol's circuit board, turn the circuit board switch to "on" and pull the trigger. The ear-phones amplify the sound of solenoid striker hitting the discharge latch (sear?) each time the trigger is activated.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

rmca wrote:
GoodGuy wrote:I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it after that. I think I will probably use it some to shoot squirrels.
It's a free pistol, it's meant to shot targets at 50 meters, possibly the hardest pistol discipline...

I understand and appreciate the advice, but I find that executing head shots on living squirrels outside at indeterminate distances up to 80 meters requires a lot of skill and practiced judgment and can be quite challenging... especially when using standard pressure target ammunition.
joel

Post by joel »

GoodGuy wrote:
rmca wrote:

I understand and appreciate the advice, but I find that executing head shots on living squirrels outside at indeterminate distances up to 80 meters requires a lot of skill and practiced judgment and can be quite challenging... especially when using standard pressure target ammunition.
Make sure you have good cover or can quickly escape the wrath of a pissed off squirrel.

Joel
joel

Post by joel »

GoodGuy wrote:
rmca wrote:

Make sure you have good cover or can quickly escape the wrath of a pissed off squirrel.

Joel
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

I'd appreciate some ammunition recommendations for my Hammerli 162. I tried RWS Dynamit Noble 22LR standard velocity target ammo, but that did not shoot particularly well in my pistol.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I use Eley Target Pistol for practice and Eley Pistol Match.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

May I ask why do you shoot the little animals ?

Do you eat them after you kill them?

:(
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

daotoys wrote:Do you eat them after you kill them?
Well, it's lot easier than trying to eat them BEFORE you kill them.

Roger
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

daotoys1 wrote:May I ask why do you shoot the little animals ?

Do you eat them after you kill them?

:(
I sense ethical judgment; I wasn't expecting that. In most cases, the flesh of the little (and big) animals I shoot become food for myself or for other living creatures. The only exceptions I can think of are rabid animals (racoons, skunks, and foxes) that I shoot and then burn in an effort to prevent spread of the disease.
FredB

Post by FredB »

+1 on making an "ethical judgment" against shooting any animal just for "sport".

FredB
Last edited by FredB on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.