NOT Olympic AR shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

toddinjax

NOT Olympic AR shooting

Post by toddinjax »

Hello all,

Do any of you folks take time off from your serious "Target" pursuits and just plink with a sporter field AR? I'm thinking about a Weihrauch HW30 or HW50s to aim at metal spinners from 10m to 50 yards or so. I assume that a squirrel is only a "pest" if he's up to mischief on your property; no point killing something in his "home" if you're not going to eat him. I know from my web research that a springer will move more that my Izzy pistol but I still think it could be fun. I'm a notorious home body these last few years, it would be good for me to get out into the woods. I'm wide open to suggestions on reasonably priced rifles or any info & suggestions you throw my way. Thanks much, todd.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think both of your choices would be perfect for your needs. I have a couple of R7s (basically the same as the HW30). It's very pleasant to shoot and it's light enough and easy enought to cock that a woman or kid would love it. Buy it in .177 and use a light round-nose pellet. The HW50 would have a little more poop.
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I think both of your choices would be perfect for your needs. I have a couple of R7s (basically the same as the HW30). It's very pleasant to shoot and it's light enough and easy enought to cock that a woman or kid would love it. Buy it in .177 and use a light round-nose pellet. The HW50 would have a little more poop.
R7's are the best to use for me I think. It will really make me efficient in shooting.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Being just a tiny bit under 6"2", I was just told that the LOP on the hw30 would be too short for me. I'n not really sure what the differences are between the hw35 and the hw50s.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

If you're looking for some backyard fun and can't decide pisol or rifle, take a look at Crossman. The 1377 pistol shoots pretty good, and I think they make a model now that has a detachable stock so you can shoot it like a rifle.

Not sure of the power for pesky pests, but I'm pretty sure at 10 pumps it would do a number on a tree rat, assuming it's not too far away.

And a whole lot cheaper.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

The pumping for the Crosmans is what gets me. My brother bought one in '89 and I made nice grips and a pumping lever for it from koa wood, french polished and nice on the hands compared to the stock plastic. A very accurate pistol (his is a 1322) and very powerful at 8 to 10 pumps, but the clacking drove me nuts. Couldn't stand all that work for every single shot.

I'm considering a Brocock Atomic single shot PCP in .22". I'll get to try a friend's soon to get a better sense of the pistol, but in reading various reviews it seems to have a lot of power and great accuracy for a plinking/pesting pistol, though it's a bit on the heavy side and the grip isn't anything like a match grip for 'serious' shooting. Seems like the most fun plinker out there, that and its variants in 6-shooter and longer barrel versions. The shorter Atomic apparently gets 35 or so good shots per fill of the 200bar cylinder. Plenty for some fun, and easy enough to pump up with a hand pump. And the price at under $500 seems very reasonable.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think the length of pull is the same on both guns. I would want the "S" model of either one (prettier). The 50S has about 30% higher velocity than the 30S and weighs over a pound more.

As I said, I like the R7 (30S); smooth, light, and accurate; it's just sweet to shoot. You would not want the too slow Canadian import model.
yana

Post by yana »

The HW30 is at the max of its range at 50 yrds. Wouldnt pick it. Especially non target and/or outdoors.
Its very tiny too, more youth specific imo. Yr too tall for it probably
I'd advise the HW50
You can also look at the Cometa Fusion or Diana 280/31/34
rrdstarr

Post by rrdstarr »

Gerard wrote:The pumping for the Crosmans is what gets me. My brother bought one in '89 and I made nice grips and a pumping lever for it from koa wood, french polished and nice on the hands compared to the stock plastic. A very accurate pistol (his is a 1322) and very powerful at 8 to 10 pumps, but the clacking drove me nuts. Couldn't stand all that work for every single shot.

I'm considering a Brocock Atomic single shot PCP in .22". I'll get to try a friend's soon to get a better sense of the pistol, but in reading various reviews it seems to have a lot of power and great accuracy for a plinking/pesting pistol, though it's a bit on the heavy side and the grip isn't anything like a match grip for 'serious' shooting. Seems like the most fun plinker out there, that and its variants in 6-shooter and longer barrel versions. The shorter Atomic apparently gets 35 or so good shots per fill of the 200bar cylinder. Plenty for some fun, and easy enough to pump up with a hand pump. And the price at under $500 seems very reasonable.
It will be in the mail on Friday or Saturday my Friend! ;)
mark e

Post by mark e »

Might be a bit late but take a serious look at the HW77 or 97
I have a 77 in 12 Ft/lbs and it is a marvel and very accurate