One chance only...?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dschaller wrote:Not positive what the decimal score for 1mm off center is (think it would be 10.8) ....
For Air Pistol, every 0.8mm is worth 0.1.

A shot centred up to 0.8mm from the dead centre of the target is a 10.9, up to 1.6mm is a 10.8, up to 2.4mm ia a 10.7 etc, etc.

You are therefore correct, 10.8
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Conradin seems to be playing his 'my role in the forum is that of a troll' game again, asking an absurd question then selectively covering his ears and chanting "I'M NOT LISTENING" while most respondents tell him basically the same answer, that the question is meaningless.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

Gerard wrote:Conradin seems to be playing his 'my role in the forum is that of a troll' game again, asking an absurd question then selectively covering his ears and chanting "I'M NOT LISTENING" while most respondents tell him basically the same answer, that the question is meaningless.
Maybe, but with 20+ responses and 500+ views, you can't deny he creates debate... No such thing as a silly question.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

But there is such a thing as an annoying, pesky question, and I think that's got a lot to do with why I and a bunch of others have responded. Like how it's hard not to swat at a mosquito.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

The answer is quite logical. If my life depends on it, and I have to choose one pellet, not knowing what that pistol likes, I HAVE to go with the supreme, cream de la crop, most uniform pellet batch. Utmost expensive Olympic batch. Choosing the pellet is the easy part.

Now how to shoot that pistol is another dissertation question. I know from my experience, I never shoot well with someone else's pistol. Every body's sight alignment is different, everyone's sight picture is different, not to mention grip anatomy, trigger height, travel, feel, etc, etc.

My chance of shooting a 10.9 is as likely as that of a monkey shooting backward looking at a mirror. Possible 10.9 ? Absolutely, logically affirmatively possible !!! Absolutely, mathematically proven.

Coming back to the original question, remember that proverbial saying, "You can do any thing, but not every thing is profitable." You can ask any question, but not every question is sensible.

Gerard, nice looking target holes. With those holes, you should be invited to the Canadian national team. Easily.
Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

I find Conradin's post interesting and I see what he is trying to say and question.
I would like to share a story that may amuse.
Some years ago, a friend bought a new, very expensive target rifle. He had problems with the new rifle, couldn't get it to print as well as the "old" one, so proceeded to check every possible reason for this. Eventually, he put the new rifle in a machine rest and tried every brand of ammo through it that he could lay his hands on. The conclusion was, this rifle "liked" and printed the best group with the cheaper basic club ammo and the best ammo on the market did not group well at all. But, he continued to use the very expensive "best" ammo because it should be the best because it was also the most expensive! He continued to get the same old results. Answer .......
The rifle was sold. He couldn't bring himself to use cheap ammo!
Go figure.
william

Post by william »

Seamaster put his finger on it:
Coming back to the original question, remember that proverbial saying, "You can do any thing, but not every thing is profitable." You can ask any question, but not every question is sensible.
Stated more formally, a proposition can be true. It can be false, or it can be meaningless. Can you guess in which category I think this query belongs?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Can't decide if this thread is more Monthy Python or Kafka...
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I am thinking I am going to start importing bottles of air from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I can sell those to the purists who think that the original equipment's air from the motherland will propel their pellet more accurately down range into the 10 ring.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Hey everyone, only a few ACTUALLY answer the question..I would presume at least a lot of you will say Vogel USA for brownie points..
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

conradin wrote:Hey everyone, only a few ACTUALLY answer the question..I would presume at least a lot of you will say Vogel USA for brownie points..
There, now he's making it clearer still. Troll, right?
kevinweiho

One chance only...?

Post by kevinweiho »

One chance only...? This reminds me of the Steyr LP 10 E advertisement video. You have to believe yourself and your equipment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLTD0Z-oIfQ
conradin

Post by conradin »

Gerard, if you believe I am a troll, how long have you been on the Internet and you should know the golden rule about dealing with trolls by now:

Do Not Feed The Trolls.

I was using the internet when the monitor is actually the printer, and the keyboard is ALSO the printer. I would presume you have used the internet for that long and knows the troll rule.

Technically the aol.com rule should still be applied...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:Hey everyone, only a few ACTUALLY answer the question....
Possibly a reflection of most people's respect for the question?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

seamaster wrote:Gerard, nice looking target holes. With those holes, you should be invited to the Canadian national team. Easily.
Well no, not quite. Once warmed up I frequently shoot like that, but it does take me 30 to 40 shots to get there, to bring my mind into good focus. Need to work on getting that warm-up time down. This is more like my average shooting - the other day I shot 60 into the same paper at home. At about shot 45 I got a call from a client (who is also a good friend) telling me he'd not be able to make his appointment because of yet another medical emergency in his family... guy is on a bad luck streak. Took my head right out of shooting, so for the next half-dozen shots I was dropping the pistol after holding too long, shooting when I should have put it down. Got back on track for the last 10 or so... but still, the hole is too big to be national team material quite yet. I'm hoping to graduate to Master status at the November match locally, working hard towards that.
conradin wrote:Gerard, if you believe I am a troll, how long have you been on the Internet and you should know the golden rule about dealing with trolls by now:

Do Not Feed The Trolls.
This is a fairly slow forum Conradin, with perhaps a half-dozen new threads on a really, really busy day. Just about anything is going to inspire comment. Sometimes even Chinese purse and sunglass selling spam. I don't quite rank your posts with those... but there is often considerable overlap in terms of value specific to the sport. As previously with you, I responded in hopes of finding the purpose of your questions. So far I've not seen it in this thread, outside of trolling that is.
conradin wrote:
I was using the internet when the monitor is actually the printer, and the keyboard is ALSO the printer. I would presume you have used the internet for that long and knows the troll rule.

Technically the aol.com rule should still be applied...
Gosh, to quote Wayne & Garth: "We're not worthy, we're not worthy."
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gerard wrote:Once warmed up I frequently shoot like that, but it does take me 30 to 40 shots to get there, to bring my mind into good focus.
You should get 15 minutes during which you can dry fire (and do admin) before the 15 minutes preparation & sighting time starts. Added together that's a lot of warming up time.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Well yeah, you've pointed out another of my remaining weaknesses. After two and a half years of shooting I'm still struggling with motivation in terms of dry fire. I've always found it a very frustrating exercise because of the dissimilarity between dry and live fire. But I'm working on it, and with the K12 shooting a lot closer to dry when shooting live thanks to the absorber it seems a little less of a struggle to make myself dry fire. I know, I know, one has to... just still working to get there.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gerard wrote:After two and a half years of shooting I'm still struggling with motivation in terms of dry fire. I've always found it a very frustrating exercise because of the dissimilarity between dry and live fire.
That's nothing. I've been like that for 33 years ;-)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Now THAT is a kind of venerability I can venerate. ;)
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

pilkguns wrote:I am thinking I am going to start importing bottles of air from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I can sell those to the purists who think that the original equipment's air from the motherland will propel their pellet more accurately down range into the 10 ring.
That reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell of a guy who didn't want to spend money on anti-freeze for his car. He used water from a spring on his farm because that water never froze!