good rifle to use for fun

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

arianeax

good rifle to use for fun

Post by arianeax »

I'm looking for a good rifle to use for fun.. Its going to be mostly targets, and maybe some small game. I want it to be semi auto, and use .223/5.56 ammo, and price from $600-$1000. This is going to be my first gun,so i have no idea what to get. I like Ak variants, but anything is fine. I will buy if from a website and get it shipped to my store so web links are good.
Last edited by arianeax on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Not to be rude, but what does an AK47 have to do with Olympic rifle shooting?
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

300m is so much fun.

I would prefer a Grünig & Elmiger, a Bleiker or a Keppeler and for the more old school guys and girls maybe a Tanner, but not in .223. At this days a 6mm Norma BR or so will give you on this distance some advantages.

Here you can see some fine pictures about 300m target shooting.

http://sdrv.ms/1btnTVk

But i'm also sure, this may not be the right recommendation for the questioner.

Regards

Frank
TPJones

Post by TPJones »

If it's going to be your first rifle I'd suggest you stay away from semi-auto center fires all together. I'd also suggest you start with a .22 rim fire bolt action.

You should easily be able to find a used Anschutz 64 type in that price range. Many other rifles come to mind as well, but an Anschutz is a known quantity. If you need to buy new I'd suggest a CZ 452 as a first rifle. I use my CZ at our clubs "fun matches" out to 200 yards. My CZ will shoot under 3/8" at 50 meters, not as good as my Anschutz, but good enough. It's also a might easier to shoot off hand until your technique, and muscle memory, develop.

In general, any center fire would be less than ideal to start with. There is much to learn to shoot well, and a center fire will detract from the learning process, IMO. You can always buy a second rifle later, but I think everyone should start with a .22.

When I attended instructor school (years ago) everyone started with the .22, no matter how good you were (or thought you were), or what discipline you intended shooting.

Generally, the words AK and target should not be used in the same sentence. :-) A shooter would be hard pressed to hit a flock of circus tents at 300 M with an AK.

late thought: CZ 452's are no longer produced, but the have a new model to replace it.

[/img][/code]
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

SPAM!!!

Diagnostics: 1 post, irrelevant to forum, tag line with links to other irrelevant sites.

This person is a SPAMMER and deserves to die a slow, painful, gory death and have it posted on YouTube.

Roger