really focusing on what you are doing...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

really focusing on what you are doing...

Post by Guest »

A few days ago, i was practicing prone at my local club, and i shot three targets. a 50 yd, 100 yd, and another 50 yd, all conventional. I dropped 8 on the first target (Ouch!), 6 on the 100 (still not too good), and then 2 on the last one (much better!).

I was angry at myself for shooting so poorly, especially in practice, after the first two targets, so on the last target, i adjusted my position slightly, and forgot everything i was doing. I completely forgot about how hungry i was, how pissed my girlfriend was at me, and how poorly i previously shot. i didnt think about how my last shots were, i just tried to put every round as close as i could to the x-ring.

So just a tip to new shooters, really focus on your shooting while you are shooting. i was intent on cleaning that target, and although i didnt, i was pretty happy with it.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

I find it helps me clean targets if I start thinking about it early in the day. For the bigger matches I'll start visualization weeks before. Always keep a calm positive attitude and tens should follow.
Stop fussing. Point the rifle. Squeeze the trigger.repeat as necessary.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Dan L wrote:For the bigger matches I'll start visualization weeks before.
That is the most valuable tip for maximising your potential that I've seen on TT for a long time.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Many, many years ago, during his visit to Australia (early 1980's?) Lanny Bassham said that when he found out about visualisation and how powerfully it worked for him, he thought it had to be cheating and wondered if they would ban it!

A very strong endorsement for the strategy.

Also, his book, "With Winning in Mind", should be on the essential reading list for competitive rifle and pistol shooters.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

Dan L wrote:I find it helps me clean targets if I start thinking about it early in the day. For the bigger matches I'll start visualization weeks before. Always keep a calm positive attitude and tens should follow.
What do you visualize, if you dont mind me asking?
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

PatrickS916 wrote:What do you visualize, if you dont mind me asking?
Dan L will no doubt have his method of visualisation. This is very personal - everyone will have a different set of things they visualise. One shooter I knew used to visualise the whole day - getting up, dressing, breakfast, packing the right gear, driving to the range, firearms check, preparation time then the match - sighters and each series, shot by shot. For others (me included), it is just visualising a perfect shot or series - that is the most important thing for me. Here is my method:

Sit somewhere quiet and away from interruptions - if on the range, sit in your car so no one sees you and wants to talk but better to walk or drive away to a quiet place if you can. Relax and close your eyes (don't go to sleep - you have too much to do!) and try to "feel" the process of preparing for a shot (loading, stance, position, grip, bringing the sights into the aiming area, increasing the trigger pressure) and firing the shot (surprise release) with follow through and calling the shot then unloading and preparing for the next shot. Same idea when firing a series - rapid fire stages in RFP, CF, sport pistol and standard pistol. Repeat as many times as you can. Do this in real time not a speeded up version.

When in preparation time for your match, set up your equipment then sit with earmuffs on and visualise what you are about to do. Also between shots/series, you can continue the process or part of it like the sights, trigger and release parts are most important. When the command to load is given, make the "dream" come true!

Note that visualised shots/series are perfectly executed. (Don't visualise less than perfect performances - they might happen!)

Good luck.