Can an old Gehman air pump be rebuilt?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMC

Can an old Gehman air pump be rebuilt?

Post by SMC »

I am writing for a friend who is not a member of Target Talk. He has an old Gehman air pump that now needs repair. He reports that the pump is a sealed unit. Is this true or is there a way to open up and repair the pump? Are rebuild kits available? Sorry, I don't have a model number for you to consider.

He likes using an air pump and is not interested in using a Scuba tank.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steve
superstring

Post by superstring »

I looked into this awhile back and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. I bought a Hill Pump instead.
SMC

Post by SMC »

Thanks superstring.
rmca

Post by rmca »

superstring wrote:I looked into this awhile back and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. I bought a Hill Pump instead.
Can you write some more info on this?
Why wasn't it worth it?
Did you get any quotes on repair prices?

Thanks
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I had a leaking Gehman pump. To fix it, you need to do an Internet search for the pump break down diagram. It is easy to find, but the information about how to break it down is scant. You just have to use your common sense on breaking it down.

You need two large monkey wrenches, seals, and high pressure grease.

I must have spent nights break down/ rebuilding it. It would almost work, but never work perfectly.

Finally I just gave up. For two reasons. One, I am not sure my replacement seals are the right size. Two, I just can not break it down to its core. There is a very inner core that I just can't get to.

So , I just gave up. Spent the money , bought a Hill pump from an Olympian.

My recommendation. Just play with it. You might got some satisfaction from it. But I bet you will end up buying another pump.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Seamaster, I understand where you're coming from and I'm with you all the way.
superstring

Post by superstring »

rmca wrote:
superstring wrote:I looked into this awhile back and decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. I bought a Hill Pump instead.
Can you write some more info on this?
Why wasn't it worth it?
Did you get any quotes on repair prices?

Thanks
It was awhile ago, but I remember parts being hard to find and, as seamaster said, info on how to do the job almost impossible to find.

I think seamaster's post pretty well sums it up.
rmca

Post by rmca »

That makes more sense now... I thought that it would just be a seal replacement like most SSP, but I guess it's more complicated than that.

I'll take mine apart when the time comes (hopefully in the distant future!) and get a new one.

Thanks
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Gehmann pumps are actually FX pumps from Sweden. The good news is that there are available OEM seals to fix the pump. The bad news is that there is practically no information on the internet that tells you how to diassemble the pump to change those seals.

I once contacted FX to ask them if they could help me out, but at the end no one could!

I would also recommend the Hill's pump as it was designed to be disassembled and assembled with ease. The most important thing you should do with a pump is to bleed it properly and make sure the inner tube is free of dirt and lightly lubed with silicone grease. With proper care and maintenance, the pump should last you for many years.
SMC

Post by SMC »

Thanks to everyone for the insight that you have provided. It is very helpful.

Steve