Which Benelli to Buy?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jack Straw

Which Benelli to Buy?

Post by Jack Straw »

My local gun shop has a used MP90 with 3 mags and a Larry's optic mount. The price is firm at $1185 out the door. The weapon is very clean but obviously has been used a lot. The price seems a little high but maybe I'm wrong.

I see Larry's has the MP95 for just under $1000. I like having a brand new pistol and wonder if the MP90's better trigger and grips would be worth the "gamble" of buying a used pistol?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

It's hard to say with the info you give. I have two MP95s and love them, but the first thing I did was get custom grips. If the grips on the one for sale fit you, it might be worth trying it out, but it all depends if the gun itself is in good shape. You can drop in an MP90 trigger for about $400. Looks are secondary if the thing is reliable. Every so often I remind myself that the gun is the means to an end, no more.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Save a little bit more finance and get a new 90 from Larry.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Jack,
Take into account the price of magazines as well - the MP90 has 3. The MP90 trigger is a lot better than the 95, and if the grip fits your hand well, that is another couple hundred dollars. For $195 more, I would seriously consider the MP90.
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

A used gun in hand is a lot better than a few pictures. Will they let you shoot it? Three magazines worth of SV will probably tell you if it is reliable.

Brand new guns sometimes have problems too. A guy I knew sent his new MP90 back to Larry twice before it would work. Each time, it took three or four months.
Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Thanks to all of you for the thoughtful responses. Keep 'em comin'. Tomorrow I'll ask the guys if I can test fire the used 90. Considering how much money I've left there in the last year or so I think they'll say yes. If they say no....I'll likely pass and order a new 95.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I would go with the new 95. I have a 90 and 95 and I like the trigger better on the 95. It is more like a bullseye trigger to me with less takeup and a clean break. I spent way too much time trying to adjust the 90 and have it not be like a rapid fire gun with a lot trigger movement and couldn't do it. On the 95 I just took it apart and shined up all moving pieces and to me the trigger is excellent and I would rather have it. I don't mind the non custom grips on the 95 either.
Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Well, I finally went with the used 90. It was not the easiest decision but now that I have it so far, so good.

My first range trip was a success. The balance and overall weight suit me better than my previous Hammerli 280. Trigger feels good after I dialed out the overtravel. I used three brands of ammo in my trial; CCI Pistol Match, Wolf Match Target, and Aguila Golden Eagle Match Pistol. Reliability was perfect with the CCI and Wolf but I had quite a few duds with the Aguila.

A minor glitch came up as I tried to adjust the p.o.i. downward and found the sight blade bottoming out of the tang of the grip. A few strokes of a sharp chisel took care of that after I got the grip off, (thanks to FredB for the solution).

Thanks again to all who responded with good information.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey Jack,

Now that you have your "stuff" together, how about showing up at some of our matches at PRGC. Here's our current calendar:

http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/Calenda ... p_2013.htm

Sorry, nothing 'til the end of Sept.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

A well used Benelli should NOT cost them kind of bucks. Larry has gotten on the high side since he is the only one that sells Benelli in the NE. Try Stepp in Texas and go for a new one for the few bux more. Old Benelli's come with a built in "alibi gun" reputation---Larry was an old friend and he and I parted ways over his business practises & tactics. "Doc"
Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Rover, thanks for the invite to Phoenix. You guys down there shoot too well for me!! Many years ago I shot Bullseye at the old Southland Matches in San Diego and there were frequently a group of Arizona guys there who were very impressive pistoleros.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ah, c'mon Jack. We're just waiting for it to cool off. We promise not to make you squeal like a pig.
Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw »

Now that's funny right there!!! It's been a long time since I competed in B.E. but if a few practice sessions help (and I need the humiliation) I just might head down there when it cools off.
FredB

good gun

Post by FredB »

Jack,

Don't listen to the static. You got a good gun and made the right choice. Benellis are very reliable and durable with the exception of the firing pin and buffer, which are inexpensive and easy to replace - get a couple of spares from Larry. The 90 trigger and especially the grip are big upgrades from the 95, and would cost you quite a bit bought separately. Plus I understand that the new Benellis no longer have built-in grooves for scope mounting. And BTW I don't think Neil at ISS could have supplied you a Benelli - I know he can't supply Benelli parts. Just enjoy the gun and don't look back.

HTH,
FredB
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey Jack, paddle faster, I hear banjos!
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Jack,

We have some informal leagues down at PRGC. During the summer (now through some time in September) we shoot a 22 league on Monday nights. We start with some practice at 6pm or so, then move into 3 NMCs for score at around 6:30.

In September, through the rest of the year until after 4th of July we shoot a league on Tuesday nights. Same time of the night, but we alternate weeks between a bullseye 900 and an international centerfire/sport pistol course of fire.

It's all very informal, so you can shoot whatever you bring, even if it's not strictly speaking legal (i.e. no one cares if you use a dot in international, or your barrel isn't the right length etc). Everyone from brand new Marksman to High Masters are there. I just got a buddy at work to start shooting, and he also bought a Benelli 95.

Check out our pistol division website:

http://arizonapistol.com/

Hope to see you there!