OK, Conradin...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

OK, Conradin...

Post by Rover »

Since you have been constantly complaining about your lack of someone to coach you to world class level, I've decided to give you some advice; take it or leave it, but don't tell me about it.

First, read this:
http://www.australiancynic.com/NYGORD.htm

http://www.australiancynic.com/DIY.htm#_What_you_think

Since you proudly list several shooting organizations on your posts, you will have no trouble getting permission/funds to bring in a top shooter for training/seminar for the members.

I know my friend John Zurek puts them on (he did a few while driving to Perry). He also shoots International Pistol and won the air pistol match at Perry this year (with a 575, a little down from his 585 at the Desert Midwinter). If 2nd at the Nationals is not good enough, I understand Brian Zins may be available, but he has his own school.

I've attended seminars by Don Nygord, Arnie Vitarbo, USAMU, and John Z, too. All money (some free) well spent.

All will go well if you heed every word, bite the tongue of the guy behind your eyeballs, and forget everything you thought you knew.
Last edited by Rover on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GTFS

Thanks

Post by GTFS »

Thanks Rover, Great Post, lots of good stuff in there and not just for pistol shooters. Thanks also to Spencer for keeping the info in the first place.

Cheers Glen

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover, thank you for the links, I actually know them, and use them as my guide, along with an enormous amount of literature (English, German, and French) to help me, plus Youtube films, and occasionally corresponding with world class shooters.

The strangest thing over here in the SFBay Area is that while there are plenty of shooters, there are no coaches (at least in my discipline, which is pistol). The person who taught me how to shoot initially actually recommended someone down in SoCal to me. That kind of travel is impossible, as you probably read a few posts of mine that I bothered to mention, I am disabled, (invisible disability, not the visible type such as lose of a limb). I have never travel even beyond the edge of the SF Bay Area ever since my illness struck me down, and in fact, before that, I was a nationally ranked motorcycle racing competitor. Shooting also serve as a form of outlet for me since I cannot do 180 mph anymore. I have never taken an airplane without the aid of a wheelchair. While mobility is not that much of an issue, the need to go to ER at any moment or bed rest is the big issue. I seldom if ever travel beyond an one hour perimeter from my home, without prior arrangement.

The books that I find most useful are by Laslo Antal. Buy them all if you can. The YurYev book is great but a little bit too technical, and also in a way show that there is no one way to do it. The best example is Vladimir Stolopin's early stance vs his later stance, which was completely different. I also have other books such as Rene Amitrano's Traite de Tir a la cible, and Pierre Mouchon's Les Calibers 22. Bob Churchill & Granville Davies' Modern Air Weapon Shooting is good, but not as helpful if you do not do it their way.

If there is one single book for the absolute beginners and still good for experience shooters, I say Antal's "KTG Pistol Shooting". Many times I went back to that book and trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I was lucky to be in a club that have a few shooters who do international, but in general people have no idea what it is. I have been warned and threatened with a ban by the largest range in the area because I shoot 50M pistol single handed and naturally, started at 45'. They insisted that I should point the pistol horizontal towards the target at ALL TIMES. I was also invited to a few airguns groups, all of which are for shooting at least 100 yards to 200 yards using air pistol that looks like star war weapons.

I actively looked for people who know how to shoot international here, and every single business card is for either "NRA defense...etc" or "IPSC tactical, etc". I frequently find myself the only person who shoot single handed, to the point that a couple places automatically assigns a lane for me as if I own the lane.

I never intended to be a world beater. My biggest wish is to be able to attend a state championship, with travel arrangement planned WELL AHEAD, including carrying an entire luggage of medications. (Yes, I sometimes will bypass the TSA simply because of that). The local clubs here who shoot international provide plenty of competition, unofficial (club) or official (PTO). Remember as you recall I picked up firearms essentially both accidentally and was forced to due to essentially living in a ghetto, and by a twist of fate I ended up learning international. When you are one block away from a grade school, and you can pick up brasses, you know you are in the kill zone.

If there is any world class shooter who is coming over here and WILLING to hold a seminar I am more than happy to attend, in fact save up enough money to have private coaching sessions as much as I can until he or she leaves.

BTW, the signature I have indicates the pro-2A organizations I am in, or that I only involved in their Pro-2A activities. Only one organization I listed is an actual club.

Oh btw, you have been, through humor, helped me a lot. Thanks.
honeybadger

Post by honeybadger »

Rover, appreciate your links etc.

Conradin, Sill Lyra is now offering "internet-based coaching". I have *NO* personal experience with it, so this is information only, not a reccomendation, but...

https://sites.google.com/a/sill-lyra-ai ... d-coaching
Spencer

Re: Thanks

Post by Spencer »

GTFS wrote:Thanks Rover, Great Post, lots of good stuff in there and not just for pistol shooters. Thanks also to Spencer for keeping the info in the first place.

Cheers Glen

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?
Ta
corning

Post by corning »

conradin wrote:
The strangest thing ... is that while there are plenty of shooters, there are no coaches ...
Unfortunately, I think you will find the absence of coaches the norm, and not that strange.

I have over 45 years invested in various disciplines of the shooting sports. I have had only limited instruction. My first coach/instructor was a result of my participation in a junior program(s) from age 12 to 18. Although this spanned 6 years, the level of coaching/instruction fell off after the first year as the focus was achievement of the US NRA Junior awards. My second was my participation in a pistol safety course, which did include some "hands on" time with both revolvers and semi-auto's. This was a 6 week course I took in order to have access to a range.

Since then, I have competed, and my learning has been the observation and discussion with those I compete with.

John
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Rover, thanks for sharing the links, I have barely come up for air since starting to read them.

Cheers

TommyH
Rover

Post by Rover »

Conradin sez, "If there is any world class shooter who is coming over here and WILLING to hold a seminar I am more than happy to attend, in fact save up enough money to have private coaching sessions as much as I can until he or she leaves."

I gave you a name. MAKE it happen!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover, working on it, on the money side at least. Someone is willing to help me, while it is still far away, I'll take enough meds and then have someone drive me. We shall see what happens.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

honeybadger wrote:Rover, appreciate your links etc.

Conradin, Sill Lyra is now offering "internet-based coaching". I have *NO* personal experience with it, so this is information only, not a reccomendation, but...

https://sites.google.com/a/sill-lyra-ai ... d-coaching
I do have experience with Coach Sill. Great guy! I did his internet coaching for six months and it was the best money I have spent on shooting. It not only helped in shooting air but ALL shooting. It does take dedicated time to it and that is what I have run out of recently.

Scott
rickard9

ok conradin

Post by rickard9 »

I have just come up for air, and work. Marvellous stuff Rover. Thankyou