LP-1 vs LP-10

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

honeybadger

LP-1 vs LP-10

Post by honeybadger »

I know, it has been asked a thousand times before...

Ready to replace my Feinwerkbau mod 2 with a more modern pistol. My thought was the LP-10, but I'm still choking on the price. A local store has an LP-1 (compressed air) used in good condition, about half the price of what I think a used LP-10 will cost me.

How different is the LP-10 from the LP-1?

Saw a post on another forum which said to also consider the age of the cylinders. I know they must be re-inspected every 10 years, but is the advice to replace them, or to keep them if they pass inspection? (I know the compressed air tanks we use for scuba diving will last for many inspection cycles).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

There is no such thing as reinspection - you need to replace the cylinders if you're concerned or shooting somewhere that is. LP1 is a great gun but dated. Pretty sure the trigger isn't quite as good, but more importantly it doesn't have the recoil suppressor that the LP10 has.

My thoughts though would be to get the '1' and if it doesn't do it for you resell it, you won't lose much if anything doing so, and you might just love the gun.

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Simple. Keep the FWB. There is no advantage in going to compressed air. If you can't shoot the FWB well, you won't buy a score increase by going to the LP1 - LP10. Besides, it will be much more fun when you win as you see the crestfallen faces on the "big spenders."

If you MUST have a new toy, get the LP1; it's cheaper.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

honeybadger wrote:Saw a post on another forum which said to also consider the age of the cylinders. I know they must be re-inspected every 10 years, but is the advice to replace them, or to keep them if they pass inspection?
There are probably more than a few posts on the subject. The consensus seems to be that it only matters when the tanks are inspected pre-match and it is unlikely to be an issue at local or regional matches. Cylinders that have been handled carefully, filled only with dry air, never overfilled, etc., have been used safely well beyond the ten year limit. However, if it is out-of-date and checked before a competition, you will not be allowed to compete with that cylinder. I have even heard of a repair shop that destroyed a customer's out-of-date cylinder rather than return it - probably fear of liability.

Periodic inspection and certification of PCP air cylinders is not done. My guess is that there is not enough demand to develop a standardized procedure which, combined with liability issues, make certifications uneconomical. That can be a drag 'cause they ain't cheap, but if you are going to put in the time and resources to compete on a high level it won't be your biggest expense - $200 over ten years is only $20/yr.

Roger
conradin

Post by conradin »

I own both. No difference. Almost all the parts are interchangeable after the LP1 turned from Co2 to air. In fact it is the reason why I purchased one as a backup.

Rover has a love of Co2. But if you like your pistol to breath normal air from a rank, get the LP1.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why would you inflict normal air on your pistol when it can enjoy the delectable fumes wafting off the fermentation tanks at a brewery (which is where they recycle the CO2 from).
conradin

Post by conradin »

Because none of the clubs allow alcohol around, hence no CO2 tank. Also, my household is dry. Alcohol not allowed.
honeybadger

Post by honeybadger »

conradin wrote:Because none of the clubs allow alcohol around, hence no CO2 tank.
Boy, you live in the wrong county. Our club is built around alcohol. The shooting is just an excuse for us boys to get together...
Rover wrote:Simple. Keep the FWB.
Oh, most certainly. But it is a love/hate relationship, and I want a better gun.
RobStubbs wrote:LP1 is a great gun but dated. Pretty sure the trigger isn't quite as good, but more importantly it doesn't have the recoil suppressor that the LP10 has.
Thanks, this was the kind of information I was looking for.
RobStubbs wrote:My thoughts though would be to get the '1' and if it doesn't do it for you resell it
Yes, I have also considered this option.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't mind Conradin, he's from California. We could discuss this over a beer.

By selling the FWB, you wouldn't be getting a better gun...only a DIFFERENT one. (I've had both, and more.)
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Don't mind Conradin, he's from California. We could discuss this over a beer.
We have better micro brewry beer.
honeybadger

Post by honeybadger »

I found a vintage 2004 LP10 for only 20% more than the LP1, and bought it. I'll have to replace the cylinders next year, but the cylinders on the LP1 were also reaching their best-by date.

Discussion over beer is always welcome, any time you find yourself in Luxembourg let me know.

Since I'm keeping the FWB (who ever thought I was selling it? why??), we'd have the two for a side by side comparison.
conradin

Post by conradin »

We kept all the old cylinders and still use them. We do have one cylinder each that is brand new for competition. The two oldest cylinders have been checked by Buck and they are OK. The two younger ones just barely expired, so they are also OK.
Last edited by conradin on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've swilled and guzzled beer in Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, France, Spain, Andorra, Portugal, Italy, San Marino, and Lichtenstein (in Europe). It is with the greatest regret I must say I have not had a beer in Luxembourg. I trust I'll rectify that in the near future.

Say Hi! to Henri for me.

Gesondheet!
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

And when you've had a few beers in Belgium, you won't want to leave.

Pete
conradin

Post by conradin »

Polish not bad either.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Funny, but just last night at dinner my girlfriend said, "How about spending Christmas in Brussels? I like the moules there. I thought maybe London, but it's so expensive."

I'm sure I will find many beers suitable to my taste.
desdemona

Post by desdemona »

Arguably the best beer IMHO is Belgium.
My heady lambics to roasted full bodied malty stouts that will grow hair on your chest, the sheer variety and quality of brews from that region is mindblowing.
On the topic of LPs, there is a slight balance difference between both but it is negligible.
They are both a refinement over the workhorse that the FWB is.
I find myself charmed by the nostalgia of pneumatic action, its rather character building for someone of my diminutive build.
Desdemona MEV Gare-Frantisek
Range Safety Coordinator/Instructor Oakland Pink Pistols
USAS #1035180
conradin

Post by conradin »

Bitburger 0.00%....nom.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gag!
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

OK the hi-jack of this post about the LP1 vs the LP10, by our beer drinking choice beers et al is just plain stupid, as you have nothing to say as to the original them of this thread. The LP1 is a gun of the distant past and the LP10 is more of the future and present day, there is no choice necessary---keep your old gun and forgo the LP1----or choke on the price and go for the LP10....simple. This business of out dating cylinders applies to the hoi poloi of shooting who compete on the international level, not us peasants. If you recharge your cylinders once or twice a month, they aren't going to blow up in your face----I don't care what anyone says. All of this rigmarole is more for the storage tanks which are governed by federal and state laws. If you went by the ISSF in all of your shooting you would soon not be shooting. This year was the first time we heard about tanks running out and needing replacement---one more thorn from the ISSF? So to the originator of this post keep your present gun DO NOT buy the LP1 someone is feeding you a line of BS. If your current gun doesn't make you happy save up for the LP10---you will never regret it. "Doc" The Grouchy Ole Coach