Two years: Was I right?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Two years: Was I right?

Post by Rover »

william

Post by william »

Yup, Rover, you are right. That WAS two years ago.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You would know, William. You were there!
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'm lost. I don't see him selling her Hammerli AP
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Freepistol wrote:I'm lost. I don't see him selling her Hammerli AP
Likewise. In fact, "jashcroft" has made some recent postings regarding shooting glasses for his daughter suggesting that she is still active.

Roger
conradin

Post by conradin »

I'm confused. Is Rover trying to track a youngster's progress?
superstring

Post by superstring »

Hey, Rover, fascinating stuff.... can you let us "uninitiated" in on the story?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Rover's alright... for a reactionary old fart. He's just always beating this drum of his that the single-stroke pneumatic pistol is as good as, if not better than, any pre-compressed pneumatic pistol. And he has valid points for the most part. Simplicity is great. Independence from air tanks and hand pumps is great. The accuracy of a well made SSP is pretty much identical to the accuracy of a well made PCP.

Two problems though. 1) Almost no new SSP pistols are available. Been looking for a Pardini K58 myself for over a year. Nothing available. Period. 2) They tend to be on the heavy side. Not the FAS 604, sure, but that thing shoots so slow it tears ragged holes. Most others are at least 150grams heavier than the average match-grade PCP of today. So it seems a somewhat futile effort on Rover's part. But I appreciate the sentiment, amd the effort towards inspiring the main manufacturers to get into SSP designs again, which could be very cool, especially with carbon fiber tubes and cocking levers to get the weight down.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

All of these virtues meant nothing in my case, as cranking that lever in excess of seventy times during a match caused muscle fatigue or whatever that resulted in a deterioration of scores towards the end of the match that does not exist when using a modern compressed air gun.
However I understand that some shooters do not experience this problem.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Ah right, sorry deadeye, forgot to include the fatigue argument in my little list. It does seem to be a factor for some, and was for me initially with my Baikal 46m. It took some months of shooting at least 100 shots per day before I ceased noticing the cocking element. Just stopped noticing. It became so automated that when I eventually purchased a K10 I often went to cock it, grabbing air in front of the grip, and had some difficulty breaking the habit. Cocking the 46m is so easy - in fact I shortened the cocking lever about 4 inches and re-carved to reduce weight - that if one is in decent physical condition this fatigue thing is not a factor. One thing which made this so for me was a gradual migration towards placing the bottom of the grip against the side of my torso then using my left (non-shooting) arm to throw and retrieve the lever. The only effort for the shooting arm is holding the pistol's weight for about a second; hardly fatiguing. If my non-shooting arm gets tired of this after 200 or more shots, well, I haven't noticed, and I still shoot the 46m quite a bit just because I like it a lot more now that it's trimmed down to a much lower weight.

Not having tried a FWB 10x series pistol or a Pardini K58 or any other SSP I really can't speak to cocking effort, so perhaps with those pistols do force the user to work too hard and might cause some shaking or tiredness during a competition.
jashcroft

Dear Rover

Post by jashcroft »

Yes it has been 2 years and I'm happy to say that was about 20,000 pellets ago. My daughter is still going strong she live fires a minimum of 3 times a week that is down from the 5 days a week she was shooting until she discovered the benefits of dry firing. She has a personal best match of 366/400, her personal best string of ten is a 97 also has a 96 a few 95s etc.... We have been to the Nationals a Grand Prix in Toronto and she is off to her second Nationals in a few weeks. Her monthly average is around 85%. She struggles with the mental aspect specially at larger matches hopefully that is nothing that age and time and coaching will mend.
Our original discussion was re a gun for a new 13 year old girl. I bought her a used Hammerli 480K2 which I believe I paid about $880 CDN for. That gun has served her well but has since been retired to a spare. She now shoots a Steyr LP10 Compact with has a custom Rinke grip. My only regret with the Steyr is that I didn't spend the few hundred more to get the LP10E Compact. The electronic trigger would be a lot better for dry firing. I still have no regrets about buying quality guns. Coming from a trapshooting background I understand quality guns somewhat hold their value. Compared to Trapshooting this sport is relatively inexpensive. Mind you there has been a personal expense I have put my shooting on hold, no regrets. It is far more rewarding to see her achieve her goals, claw her way out of slumps and see her make countless friends across the country.
I do realize that one day sooner or later life may get in the way and her shooting career could come to a end. I'm hopeful it won't happen any time soon but if it did I'm ok with it. The guns are hers she has put in the hours and has earned the right to call them hers. I shot with my father as a Junior which was a time I cherish. The pride I have for my daughter I cant put a value on.
To answer your question: Was I right? I will answer yes you are. I know you are a valued contributor to this forum. I respect your posts now and I respected your post 2 years ago. I took your words into consideration then. I believe you care and I think this your way of checking on her progress or lack of and for that I will say THANK YOU. Hope I can check in again.
John Ashcroft
conradin

Post by conradin »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the LP10. Vika Chaika beat the entire field in Munich using a LP10, everyone else used electronic trigger APs.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

For DRY FIRE training, do LP10 and LP10E feel the same? Or feel different?
Rover

Post by Rover »

A gentlemanly and proper response, John. I'm delighted she is doing well.

Come on out to our Desert Midwinter for some fun in the sun.
conradin

Post by conradin »

seamaster wrote:For DRY FIRE training, do LP10 and LP10E feel the same? Or feel different?
I have never tried a LP10E so I would not know, but you may also ask to try a Morini CM182E to try it out, it is also electronic, or a matchgun MGH1, it is a hybrid, that means you can switch from electronic to mechanical or vice versa anytime you like.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

seamaster wrote:For DRY FIRE training, do LP10 and LP10E feel the same? Or feel different?
Dry fire training is everything except bullet and air leaving the gun.
One could argue that the difference between LP10 and LP10E are everything aside from the bullet and air leaving the gun. Hence, the answer should be; Yes there is a difference.
jashcroft

Rover - Re: Two years: Was I right?

Post by jashcroft »

So I was just viewing some of my old posts. Rover - I've always appreciated our interaction and communications. Thought you may appreciate me checking in. She is still actively shooting. Although, slowing a little being almost 17 now and a boyfriend and part time job. Life is somewhat getting in the way. Still has hopes and dreams of progressing forward with her shooting.
Hope all is well with you.
john
shaky hands

Re: Two years: Was I right?

Post by shaky hands »

Don't sell the gun yet, she is surely going to have more time when her kids are in high school.
Rover

Re: Two years: Was I right?

Post by Rover »

I'm glad all went well, John.

BTW I shot the Grand Prix long ago when it was being held in Vancouver, B.C. Great fun! I remember winning some medal(s), smooching the trophy gal, and winning the Metallic Silhouette (AP) match (which I don't know if they still do).
therider

Re:

Post by therider »

I don't like dry firing with a mechanical trigger. The pistols shakes when the striker hits the stop.