Changwong - New finals format

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

After watching the updates on the RFP final at Benning, I will soften my criticism a bit.

As someone who understands the sport, watching the final results live was and is interesting to me. There are a couple of reasons for that. First, I understand better how the final works. Second, I have fired in finals before (in both ISSF and IPSC man-on-man events), and I understand what it feels like to be on the line in those circumstances. I will admit that by visualizing what the actual shooters were doing during the final, the meaning and intensity went up for me.

However, I still have minor concerns about how the results are shown on the Web. There may be some ways to present the real-time results in a more interesting way. Perhaps I will submit some suggestions to the ISSF.

Stan
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I wrote to the ISSF regarding the lack of a women's 10m AP final video on their Youtube channel, and received a lovely reply from Wolfgang Schreiber:
Wolfgang wrote:Unfortunately we have troubles in Ft Benning with the very low internet connection, but also with the delay of receiving our equipment. The first 2 finals were produced just with 2 handheld and 4 go pro and needs cutting and postproduction in graphics which cause another delay.

We apologize and hope being able to get all done, but it takes some extra time.
Seems a bit of a nightmare, though nothing compared to the situation of the team from India who had a coach refused entry into the USA for the match. The coverage of the 10m men's AP final was excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can throw together with such limited resources for the women's final. Anyway, Wolfgang's email address is this, minus the *** marks (don't want to set him up for spambots).
***wmschreiber***@***issf-sports.org
gn303

Post by gn303 »

I too have the impression that communication at the WC at Fort Benning was a problem. I've seen no video's on YouTube of 25m Womans nor on Rapid Fire, nor 50m FP.. Was I watching the wrong channel? I was hopeful though as ISSF send out the deal with Fox. Maybe that deal is of no importance here, but to me it was an indication that ISSF was making an effort to share as much as they could from the WC events. (Changwong wasn't without video problems either?!)

Regards,
Guy
lilyyang

Post by lilyyang »

I think instead of 3+3 then everyone eliminated by 2 shots. we should go back to the 10 shots finals. However, to make it interesting, we will only have 4 finalists. That means everyone except the loser (4th place) will get a medal.

Post by conradin »

I like the idea that all finals only have four finalists. Not a semi-final and final system, but just the regular, start from 0, then drop out. Instead of shooting 20 shots, 10 will be enough.

Use something similar to RFP.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

I really think using just one or two shots to determine a finishing position turns olympic shooting into a lottery. At the top level, the shooters are all on pretty much the same level, and the fewer shots used to separate them out results in more luck being a factor. Why have a 60 shot qualifier if the winner can be determined on a few shots? Why not start all the shooters in an old finals format from the beginning, and then have the shooter(s) with the lowest tenth scored shot drop out? It just seems stupid to me that a shooter that can shoot a 598 could be first eliminated if his first two shots were nines, but if they were at some other time in a match they could win the gold medal.