boots/undergarments/sweaters

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

oddsonjjf

boots/undergarments/sweaters

Post by oddsonjjf »

Ok.... it is time for some enlightenment/input/pro vs. con on the subject of undergarments/boots/sweaters…..after just coming off of the line so to speak with a group of junior shooters who just competed at the US Nationals @ Ft. Benning I wanted to gather some input from TTer’s. So let me know what you think… I know that boots are a must try on item but would still like to hear what you think!!!!Undergarments- weight/thickness/hot vs. cold weather…..sweaters- same…thanks
justadude

Post by justadude »

First: Boots-unless you have a shooter that is barefoot, with all the discussion about boots and the new rules that is about the last place I would spend my money. While boots do help stabilize the foot/ankle, normal athletic training shoes that have not had the soles worn half away work pretty well too.

For a while I tried Thune "coldwinner" and decided for the rest of my stuff it was to slippery underneath. The complete combination I was using was bottom layer was some Under Armour "heat gear", for the undershirt, on top of that was the Thune "coldwinner" then my jacket. I felt like thing just kept sliding around on my body.

I went more traditional, cotton undershirt, KT sweater then jacket: this combination seems to be much more stable, no longer the sensation of everything sliding around on my body. I will say a longer cotton sleeve undershirt especially for the sling arm might be in order, The weave on the KT sweater is a little coarse and works on the elbow skin after a while.

'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Regarding sweaters, personally I find cotton t-shirst uncomfortable in warm weather. Cotton doesn't breathe well, so soon I'm damp, hot, and uncomfortable. A few years ago I bought a cheap, breathable hiking top, and now would not change back. I did pick one that isn't shiny, as like 'Dude I found that these slip. I wear this under knitted cardigans; currently mouche, but formerly Sauer.

I like the idea of the coldwinner shirts, but they seem awfully expensive (I bought my mouche cardigan on eBay for £17), and also rather thin at the elbows. To me the double thickness won't cushion as well as the foam padding on my cardigan.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm similar to Tim in that I too wear a polyester hiking T-shirt under a sauer cardigan. Mine are all shiny but I have never felt that I slip inside my jacket, or under the cardigan, but my belly may be my secret weapon there ;)

Oh and in rifle I only shoot prone so boots are pointless IMO - but very worthwhile in standing and kneeling.

Rob.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

RobStubbs wrote: Mine are all shiny but I have never felt that I slip inside my jacket, or under the cardigan, but my belly may be my secret weapon there ;)

Rob.
I have one of those too, but I don't think it helps, not with my shirt slipping. Hairy shoulders might provide some extra grip...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Tim S wrote:
RobStubbs wrote: Mine are all shiny but I have never felt that I slip inside my jacket, or under the cardigan, but my belly may be my secret weapon there ;)

Rob.
I have one of those too, but I don't think it helps, not with my shirt slipping. Hairy shoulders might provide some extra grip...
You need to try a small or XS shirt to really get the effect right ;)

Rob.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

Tim S wrote:

Rob.
So drink more beer and not shave arm pits......Hmmmmm interesting idea to pose to my daughter, 16.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I just slip an Under Armor shirt over my regular shirt, works like a charm for me. I'd recommend just trying different combinations until something works.