S&W or HS

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Bob3700

S&W or HS

Post by Bob3700 »

Gents,

Looking at 22 rf target pistols. Thinking about getting my feet wet doing some bullseye shooting.

If I have the choice between a S&W 41 or a HS Victor (5.5" bbls), what are the pros and cons of each?

Will be looking for a pistol that is a shooter and not a collector's item.

Price really isn't a big deal but 1K is my limit.

Bob
38HBWC

HS vs Victor

Post by 38HBWC »

#1 don't go with a Texas frame, go back to Hamden mfg. for the HS. SH prefix S/Ns E. Hartfords have ratty blue job, that's what I have because they were financially dying in the late 70's. But it is a shooter. The SH guns have hex screw securing bbl. (bad idea), so I don't reccommend. The trigger on HS better "glass rod" and crispier than M41. Older M41s seem to have a little better trigger. The older M41s have visible chamber indicator; a plus, but not nec. The sights are better on HS. The newer M41s have less nice sights, from what I see. The grips on both guns are blah. The Rinks and Nills best, the Fungs are a nice second choice. Slide mass less on HS, IMHO recoil pulse a little more profound on M41. Magazines on HS can be frustrating to buy, own and adjust. Aftermarket mags as well as "factory' HS mags may need tailoring. M41 steel frame hangs heavy in hand. The HS feels like it is more focussed in direction of bull. There are better barrel offerings from Volquartsen and Bob Shea amd Jim Clark....just add $. Both guns scope nicely. Counterweight are readily available for HS, not the same for Smith. The compensators on the HS wad up with debris and add little to performance. Both guns are nice, but I vote for Victor. YMMV
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

I have both.

With the 41, I found that I had to go with the Clark barrel to get the balance that I liked. It increased the reliability also because it eliminated the steel over the chamber so cross bolt jam became nonexistent. The trigger is good but not as good as a High Standard in my opinion. The 41 is picky about ammo, about the only thing that functions in it is CCI SV. I think if I reamed the chamber that would not be the case.

The Victor has a great trigger. As mentioned the magazines can be difficult but once functioning seem to be very reliable. If you are going to shoot iron sights the Victor is certainly easier to see. If you are mounting a dot, HS makes a rib that replaces the sight rib on the barrel and drops right on.

If I could only have one for a shooter it would be the Victor.
Bob3700

Post by Bob3700 »

Gents,

Thanks for your experience.

I ordered an East Hampton Victor from an older collector. Looks like a nice gun and the price was for a very nice shooter, not a with the box and all papers collector.

Am anxious to get it and do some shooting and see how I like it.

Bob
38HBWC

HS Victor

Post by 38HBWC »

Way to go man! Take a little of your meter money from the piggy bank and get RINK or NILL adjustable grips for the Victor, the difference is profound and your score will convince you that you made a good choice. They do come from Deutschland, so patience is necessary. They are pricey, but cheap is no way to participate in bullseye in the first place. Happy shooting!!!
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have a pair of custom grips, it came off a model 107 military, I believe it is the same frame as the victor.
Will bring my listing to the top of the list.
See it in buy and sell.