Gun insurance for traveling overseas

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jobin33

Gun insurance for traveling overseas

Post by jobin33 »

My daughter will be traveling overseas next month with her smallbore and air rifle. I want to insure her guns. Is there any one that has experience with gun insurance that could recommend a company? I've heard the NRA insurance isn't very good. As you can imagine I have a lot of money tied up in these guns.

Post by Guest »

First check your homeowner's policy which may likely cover certain losses away from home. Check the deductible as well to make sure you can live with it. Also make sure there isn't a specific exclusion either for firearms or international travel. Your agent should be able to answer these questions but be absolutely SURE you have him show you where the terms of coverage are actually located in your policy since his word will not suffice if you have to file a claim and the adjuster tells you you are not covered.
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Traveller's insurance?
corning

Post by corning »

The US NRA has some endorsed insurance plans/programs, one of which is for your personally owned guns. It is administered by an insurance company (Lockton Risk?). I believe that basic NRA membership does include some form of insurance, with additional insurance being available.
Isabel1130

Re: Gun insurance for traveling overseas

Post by Isabel1130 »

jobin33 wrote:My daughter will be traveling overseas next month with her smallbore and air rifle. I want to insure her guns. Is there any one that has experience with gun insurance that could recommend a company? I've heard the NRA insurance isn't very good. As you can imagine I have a lot of money tied up in these guns.
Who do you have your regular insurance with? Start with them, and see if the policy covers overseas trips. If they don't cover guns, they can possibly recommend an affiliate that does.

I have all my guns insured with USAA as part of a valuable items rider on my house policy. It can be very expensive to get an individual policy for guns, with a different company than the one you have the rest of your business with. A travel policy might be another possibility.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The issue I've discovered with USAA (my homeowners insurance co) and some of the others is that there is a limit of $2500 total and $500/item.

If you are heading overseas to a match with rifles and accessories worth over $5000, this did not seem to cut it ... especially if you have multiple rifles and you are (for baggage restrictions) putting all your rifles in the same case.

I think a few of us went with the NRA ArmsCarePlus as you can "schedule" the rifles individually up to $1,000,000 total overall. (more than w have!)

(Thanks John!)
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

jhmartin wrote:The issue I've discovered with USAA (my homeowners insurance co) and some of the others is that there is a limit of $2500 total and $500/item.

If you are heading overseas to a match with rifles and accessories worth over $5000, this did not seem to cut it ... especially if you have multiple rifles and you are (for baggage restrictions) putting all your rifles in the same case.

I think a few of us went with the NRA ArmsCarePlus as you can "schedule" the rifles individually up to $1,000,000 total overall. (more than w have!)

(Thanks John!)

I have a valuable items rider on my household policy that covers my guns with USAA. It isn't cheap, but is particularly necessary when you drive an old vehicle with only liability insurance. If you don't have comprehensive on your car, the contents is not covered in case of theft.