LP 400 Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mframe

LP 400 Question

Post by mframe »

Do any of you Walther LP 400 owners notice a rattle when the gun is in the uncocked position?
I think this might be the recoil absorber- when cocked not as noticeable.
jcar

Post by jcar »

It is the hammer/striker. In the un-cocked position it has a small amount of front to rear movement. Fire the pistol in the dry fire position while pointed at the floor. After firing and keeping the pistol pointed down, try to gently push the selector to the fire position. You shouldn't be able to because the striker is biased towards the front of the gun and is in the way. Now, without cocking the pistol, point it at the ceiling. The slight rattle/sound you hear is the striker sliding rearward. You may have to wiggle the gun a little. Now try pushing the selector to the fire position. You should now be able to because the striker has slid back enough and is now out of the way.
mframe

LP 400

Post by mframe »

Thanks for the information. So I cocked the gun in the dry fire position, pointed at the floor- fired. Tried to move the selector to fire and it easily moved into the fire position and immediately heard the striker drop forward....not sure how big a deal this is other than it doesn't seem that a gun of this quality should have an audible rattle.

Thanks,

Jeff
jcar

Post by jcar »

I stand corrected. My pistol operates the same as yours. The selector can be pushed to the fire position after dry firing downwards. However, it can't be pushed back to dry fire. I personaly don"t have a problem with the slight rattle when the pistol is in the un-cocked position. Perhaps the German engineers found that there was a benefit to using an inertial striker vs. a driven striker. I suspect that it has to do with more precisely metering the pulse of air going to the pellet or utilizing that air more efficiently.
mframe

Lp400

Post by mframe »

Good point- bottom line is I needed some validation that this was within spec which it seems to be. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge on this, very much appreciated.

Jeff