Toz 35 questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMBeyer

Toz 35 questions

Post by SMBeyer »

I think I am finally going to get around to make my Toz suit my needs. I have owned it for a couple of years now but have never shot it because I need a left hand grip for it. I have been reading about how to increase the trigger pull weight and that is really what got me started wanting to start this project.

My idea is to make it look (sight wise at least) and feel (trigger weight) like my air pistol. So what I want to do is get the trigger weight up to around 500 grams, try to get a trigger shoe that is similar to my lp-10, and put a Steyr rear sight on it (and a wider front sight).

So my questions:

I don't think I need a left handed frame to put a left handed grip on it but I might be wrong. I hope not because I am guessing finding a left handed frame would be near impossible.

Is the side cocking modification worth doing? I ask because it affects what grip I buy.

Does the trigger weight mod. found in the 10p files affect what forearm I use. I like the idea of the Centra Balance but the Rink forearm with weight would be fine also. I noticed a lot of people looking to lighten the Toz but I like a heavy gun so weight isn't a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Scott
rmca

Post by rmca »

The lighter weight of the trigger in FP compared to AP is there to help you. It takes some getting use to, but in the end you should shoot better.
But don't set it to light... you should be able to place your finger on the trigger with confidence that it wont shoot until you apply some (tiny) force.
By the way, I've been meaning to upgrade the rear sight on my Toz too. Let me know if you go down that route, and what bumps did you come across.

To respond to your questions:

I´ve never heard of a left hand Toz frame (but I might be mistaken), only left hand grips. And the trigger set lever stays left on those grips.

Side cocking to me only makes sense if you need a lighter gun, a different angle on your grip (or you can't reach the trigger) that the existing frame doesn't allow.

I´ll have to dig the last answer tomorrow when I clean my Toz.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Rink's web site says their grips fit all frames except left grip frames which is why I asked. Apparently they are not real common.

I know the light trigger weight of the free pistol is supposed to help but when you shoot 3.5 and 4 pound triggers on 45's the about 1 pound trigger on the air pistol seems light. I tried shooting the airpistol at 50' on the 50' freepistol target as an expirament to see how I would do if I had a freepistol set up similarly and was pleased with the results. I know it doesn't have the recoil and everything exactly like the free but it made me want to get my freepistol up and running. If the heavier trigger is just an extra spring I won't be much work or expense to try it and since it's not a permanent modification I thought it was worth a try.

Anyhow I called Larry's today and Deanna was putting in her order for Rink today so I called at the right time and got mine on order. The most important thing is taken care of. At least I will have a pistol I can put in the correct hand.

Scott
fverhoeven

Post by fverhoeven »

Hello Scott,

Rinks standard grip does not fit the leftgrip frame TOZ version. But he writes:

Should you be using such a frame, please mention this under "order instructions"!

So it is possible to get a Rink grip.

Kind Regards,

Frits
Chris

Post by Chris »

The best way to get accustomed the light trigger on the Toz is lots of dry firing. I also shoot BE with a 3.5 lb trigger. I will even dry fire both pistols back to back. 20 mins with the 45 and then 20 mins with my Toz.

I would recommend setting your Toz trigger in the 50g range and then spend 10-20 mins every day and I do mean EVERY day doing some dry firing. Before long you will come to enjoy the light crisp trigger setup.
rmca

Re: Toz 35 questions

Post by rmca »

SMBeyer wrote: Does the trigger weight mod. found in the 10p files affect what forearm I use. I like the idea of the Centra Balance but the Rink forearm with weight would be fine also.
Depending on the spring you use, you might need to cut the inside of the forearm. Noting major...

Cheers
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Got my Toz done. New grip, Centra Balance, and LP-10 rear sight. Had to mill the rear sight bracket down to fit the Steyr rear sight but that turned out to not be too big a deal. The set trigger bar hit the fore end and so we milled a little off of that so it would clear.

Rubbed the front sights on a stone to get the edges a little more crisp because they were rounded looking. Then all I had to do was get the grip to fit back on.

Have only shot it ten times to get it back at least close to sighted in but it seems to be working.