Air pistol shooting in Australia

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

colorado42

Air pistol shooting in Australia

Post by colorado42 »

I'll be moving to Australia for a year stay in August. I know that Australia has strict gun laws, so I'm not even considering trying to bring a .22 for target practice. However I am thinking of taking an air pistol. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it worth it to deal with the Customs hassles for a short period of time? Or would it be more feasible to find a competitive club and perhaps rent a firearm there...?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

One of our mods, spencer, is from Australia so should be able to give you the low down.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Here in AUS air pistols are categorised as 'firearms'. You would need to have:
- an Australian Category H licence
- be a member of a club, and wait for the probationary period before getting a Permit to Acquire.

Do not arrive with the air pistol without prior arrangements - you are unlikely to see it again.

Easier to join a club and use a club pistol, then ship out the pistol to a dealer or the club armourere after the probationary period.
scausi

??

Post by scausi »

Where in Australia, and what type of air pistol do you shoot, is it for ISSF 10m , or for just plinking ???. cheers S
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Air pistols are class H firearms, there is no plinking with those, only use in a properly constituted pistol club, and it would be pretty well exclusively ISSF 10m.

Once you have passed your training and been granted a full license its a six month wait to buy your first gun, so if you're only here a year I can't see it being worthwhile.
The six month wait does not apply to blackpowder firearms though, again only usable in a club.
Your best bet is to find a club and use club guns, you'll still need to apply to the Police for a license and complete the training.

And don't just turn up with one.
colorado42

Post by colorado42 »

Thanks all for the advice. It sounds like my best bet will be to join a club and just practice there. I'll be in Geelong...I believe there is a pistol club there so I will try to join that. I have been a collegiate shooter and don't want my skills to rust too much!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

You could always ask the Victorian Police directly through their website: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_id=34098 or email: licensingservices@police.vic.gov.au. As a visitor there may be some leeway.

The New South Wales Firearms Registry are usually helpful and I would imagine that the Victorians are equally so.

Good luck!
RoryW

Post by RoryW »

colorado42 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. It sounds like my best bet will be to join a club and just practice there. I'll be in Geelong...I believe there is a pistol club there so I will try to join that. I have been a collegiate shooter and don't want my skills to rust too much!
If you don't mind a drive, the Melbourne international shooting Club might be another option. I am not a member there but I use their 50m rifle range regularly (Match there tomorrow). Although some distance from Geelong it is well set up as it was upgraded for the Commonwealth Games in 2006 (eg 40 Suis targets on the 50m range and I think the air range is electronic as well). They have a pretty good website that you could get some contact information from. It is a 3-4 lane freeway all the way from Geelong to MISC - just don't try to do it during the morning peak hour when it can be very slow.

RoryW
scausi

vapa

Post by scausi »

http://www.vapa.org.au/ Try getting in touch with the state body , cheers Steve

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I will try emailing these clubs.

Are there any universities with shooting programs that I might be able to contact? Or is it all through private organizations?
colorado42

Post by colorado42 »

Sorry--forgot to log in. Above post was mine
scausi

AU

Post by scausi »

colorado42 wrote:Sorry--forgot to log in. Above post was mine

All clubs
, or indoor ranges but they wont cater for ISSF and are expensive. You will be better off just finding a club that have the facilitys for shooting 10m air , and stick with that , join and shoot by using form 33, 33a ,but they may be called somthing else in other states ,
As if you are only here for a year it will probably take longer that that to get a license. best bet get in touch VAPA and find the nearest club to where you ar staying , cheers Steve