Walther GSP Expert - Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pwf

Walther GSP Expert - Questions

Post by pwf »

Hello,

I am new to this forum with a couple of questions.

I just purchased a used, six year old Walther GSP Expert... in fact I just got it home tonight and as I play with it some questions have come up.

- I have three rear sight blades, marked 2, 5 and 8. The bigger the number seems to indicate the wider the notch. However, does anyone know what the numbers 2, 5 and 8 actually mean, or is it just a numbering sequence?

- I note the manual that came with it makes no reference to the Expert or to the blue sleeve over the front of the barrel. Do I assume I have an old manual, or is it a case of Walther not updating the manual with the advent of the Expert?

- And how does one go about tuning the plastic blue sleeve, and does it make any noticeable difference i performance?

I have shot this prior to buying and did really well with it, however I am now in the stage of trying to figure out the new toy using a manual that seems to be somewhat skimpy on setting this beastie up.

Thanks for the help,

Peter
scausi

GSP EXPERT

Post by scausi »

Hi have a look at this , and i will try get back to you later , dont have time just now cheers S
Attachments
Walther_GSPExpert.pdf
(837.27 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
jpsIII

Post by jpsIII »

I have a GSP Expert also; it came from Earl's, originally. Since I use an Ultradot, I can't really say much about the sight notches other than that, if one seems better for your eyesight and lenses, use that one. I have had truly exceptional reliability/durability from this firearm with Remington and CCI ammo in probably hundreds (by now) of league matches. [No jams or misfeeds! None! -- I wish I could live up to its performance.] I try to keep the chamber, breechface/ramp, and magazines gunk-free with a light post-match wiping with dry cotton "Q-Tip" swabs; other maintenance has been gentle and minimal. The cosmetically pleasant sleeve looks good and makes me feel happy.
pwf

Post by pwf »

Any GSP Expert owners out there who can answer my three questions?

Peter
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

The sight blades are sequence numbers as I recall, and they have not changed since the first GSPs though the design has.
You may have an old manual, not the version for the expert.
The barrel shroud is aluminium, anodized blue. If you are considering changing the screw pressures in the dampening rods, note that they originally came sealed with a lacquer to resist movement. Adjustment range is very limited and the effects are extremely hard to distinguish, it is far easier to adjust recoil effect through ammo selection. I would suggest it is not worth the effort or hassle of spending hours and thousands of rounds to adjust the rods, only to have to do it all over again when that batch of ammo becomes unavailable. In short, it generally works, don't mess with it.

Dr jim
pwf

Post by pwf »

Thank-you for the info.

I have adjusted the grip, trigger travel and trigger angle to suit my smallish hand, and have changed the rear sight blade. I have not touched anything else as it already seems to have a very sweet trigger pull. I will take your advice and not play with the recoil dampening rods.

Now I am just waiting for the opportunity to get to the range and see how I shoot with it. Unfortunately, with winds today gusting over 27 knots, that range time has to be put off a couple of days...

Peter
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

The numbers, 2, 5 and 8 would appear to be 3.2, 3.5 and 3.8mm rear sight notch width as seen in the Technical Data on page 4 of the doc that scausi uploaded.
pwf

Post by pwf »

Thank you Bob, I think you have my answer on the sight markings... and I guess I am a bit chagrined for not paying closer attention to the brochure and figuring it out myself!

Peter
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Here is the update of the GSP manual, with the infos about the Expert (in several languages):

http://www.carl-walther.de/public/downl ... mplett.pdf

Manuals/explo-views etc of other Walther-models see here:
http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?cw.ph ... nt=manuals
pwf

Post by pwf »

Thank you... that is very useful, and I had missed it when I went through the Walther website.

Peter