Used or new SB rifle for beginner

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MatS

Used or new SB rifle for beginner

Post by MatS »

The situation is following: in this season I'm starting to shoot with a SB rifle in prone 50m. And I need to buy one. I have 2 offers on the table and can't decide wich to take and need an advice.

A factory new Walther KK300 Alutec for around 2700 USD and a used FWB 2700 Light version with a world-class barrel (597 in match with it) for a couple of hundred bucks less.

My budget is around the price of a new KK300. My coach advised me to take the KK300, because the FWB is in Light version (lighter, shorter barrel) and mainly because I'm already shooting an AR LG300XT two years. And I'm concerned over the barrel performance of the KK300, because I can't test it out before buying it. I'm a little over 6 foot tall.

I'm thankful for any help.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

In my opinion it is going to come to one very important question:
Which rifle fits to you better?

In terms if accuracy you will not be disappointed with either, it will amount to the quality f ammunition used and how well it is matched to your rifle. I say get the rifle you desire more and that fits you best. For me it's a FWB, but there are many world class shooters with either rifle.
TPJones

Post by TPJones »

You really can't go wrong with either. As stated it all comes down to fit - how it fits YOU.

I haven't shot either (Ans 1907 here), but a few have commented on the KK being a tad front heavy, and a few state the KK has better hardware than the 2700 - personal preference to be sure.

I'm a bit over 6 foot and I prefer the lighter barrel myself - but I think I'm probably in the minority on that score. You can always add weight to the light barrel, taking weight off the heavy barrel is problematical...

The 2700 you looked at has a track record, the KK you'll have to wait and see (although I'm sure it's great), but both are highly capable. No mater which you choose you'll still have to make it fit you anyway. I'm sure they both shoot better than I do. :)

I'm sure you can find many reviews/comparisons of both right here on Target Talk if you poke around.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I wouldn't pay that much for a used gun so for me it would be the walther - but most important is getting the gun that feels right for you. Pedigree is frankly irrelevant as any gun with the right ammo will shoot 600 - that is until a shooter gets in and messes it up.

Rob.
CanadianAce

Post by CanadianAce »

Where do you live MatS?
BarbaraHoly

Post by BarbaraHoly »

Hey did you buy one or you are still searching for it?

replacement inks
MatS

Post by MatS »

@Ace: I'm fron Europe, but I like this forum very much.

@Barbara: I didn't buy one yet, but I have found already a rifle (have an offer).

Thanks to everybody for help!