Matchguns MG2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
targetshooter

Matchguns MG2

Post by targetshooter »

Hello, first time poster here and new owner of MG2 pistol. So far fired around 400 shots and all I can say is WOW. Worlds apart from my old beat up IZH35. Excellent trigger and grip, recoil behavior is great, just straight back motion with minimal muzzle flip. So far tried only some cheap Geco pistol, RWS Target Pistol and TopShot . Works great without any problems.
Shot my first 50 in a long time. :)

Ernie Rodriguez

MG2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Congrats-Great pistol.Probably will be very reliable too.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

I look forward to this pistole every time I see a picture of it.
Unfortunately I have to wait until Februar or March to buy it due to our silly gun law
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

plus a minor redesign to make more user friendly the cocking of the gun.
targetshooter

Post by targetshooter »

Neon21 wrote:I look forward to this pistole every time I see a picture of it.
Unfortunately I have to wait until Februar or March to buy it due to our silly gun law
Next year?
barfoed

Post by barfoed »

It's an amazing gun when it works. As the owner of an MG 4 as well as a MG 2 i have a love-hate relationship with them. With out a doubt the best guns I've ever had but also the most unreliable guns i have ever owned and the biggest disapointment.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Congrats! A new one?

I have just purchased one as well.. a used model. Likewise I have put about 500 rounds through and been trying all sorts of ammo. No problems at all. CCI std, SK pistol match, Winchester T22, Geco pistol, Lapua, ELEY club. Cheap and pricey - all types function well. No malfunctions.

In my last three matches there have been others with malfunctioning pistols of every kind. The early MG2's seemed troubled but I gather there have been modifications and the factory seems willing to help update. The story is the same with nearly every current top manufacturer... it takes real world testing to get it right.
Mine is about 2008/9 manufacture and looks as if it was updated just before I got it.

It needed a good clean when I first got it and I intend to keep it that way. Complex machinery works better without gunk!
LOTS of interested lookers at the pistol club. Not many had seen one before. Not easy for the RO to see it is clear due to the extra levers, lifters and ejectors and bits when the slide is locked back so I will get the ISSF indicator happening ASAP. Someone said it looked like a Winchester lever action rifle inside!

My scores have improved already! I love this gun... plus it is the coolest looking thing!
Thanks for posting the photos too! I must get the camera out. I want to shoot some video soon as well.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

targetshooter wrote:
Next year?
Yes, next year..
In Germany, you have to shoot 1 year continously (18x per year) to even ask the shooting federation if they will attest you the need of a own gun and then get a license from the township..so will take about 14 month (initial - only the first time) from "I need a own gun" to "I have a own gun" - really annoying.

But then I can wait for all the improvements on the MG2.
There has been a lot of changes in the last 2 years as I read.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Neon21 wrote:
targetshooter wrote:
Next year?
Yes, next year..
In Germany, you have to shoot 1 year continously (18x per year) to even ask the shooting federation if they will attest you the need of a own gun and then get a license from the township..so will take about 14 month (initial - only the first time) .
Wow, Our system in Queensland (Australia) has just recently been improved but I gained my licence under the much slower old system, just before the new one was available.
6 weeks to get approval to join a club (background checks "fit and proper person" ) then 6 mths in the club training with at least six matches before you can apply for a licence. My case seemed slow but was 9 months until my licence arrived, then my permit to acquire could be approved... All up, 14 mths as well so I sympathise with you.
A lot less time now, maybe 9 mths total?
We can only own two pistols max in first year (1 airpistol and 1 either centrefire or rimfire...not both) We have to keep shooting min number of matches for each class of handgun owned per year or we lose our guns!
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

oh ok, so I think we have nearly the same strictness of law.

We don’t have to shoot matches, Training is enough, but 12 – 18 entries in the “shooting book” are required each year,
otherwise you will lose the “need” for a weapon and have to sell it.
And of course within the first 12 month of shooting and before applying for the license,
-your sports club has to agree that you should own a pistol
-the shooting federation has to agree
-you’re criminal records will be checked (and as long as you have weapons, it will be checked every 3 years!)
-you have to do a test with theoretical and practical parts about weapons, ballistics and laws
-you have to prove that you own a special gun safe (police and officers can visit you for a check of the correct storage every time)
and then the township gives their ok.

But then you can own up to 2 semi-auto handguns and 2 semi-auto rifles (if you can bring a good reason even more) and as much single shot weapons as you like.

APs are free anyway (for people over 18years) - you can own as much as you like and also don't have to put them in the safe..
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Very similar yes! Firearm safety course- yes
Gunsafe yes... Inspections are random but most eventually get one.
Special added safe requirement for handguns.
Handguns seperate licence to air rifle, rifle/shotgun which are slightly easier to qualify for and without so many ongoing requirements I believe. AP considered same as any pistol for all requirements and restrictions.
targetshooter

Post by targetshooter »

Neon21 wrote:oh ok, so I think we have nearly the same strictness of law.

We don’t have to shoot matches, Training is enough, but 12 – 18 entries in the “shooting book” are required each year,
otherwise you will lose the “need” for a weapon and have to sell it.
And of course within the first 12 month of shooting and before applying for the license,
-your sports club has to agree that you should own a pistol
-the shooting federation has to agree
-you’re criminal records will be checked (and as long as you have weapons, it will be checked every 3 years!)
-you have to do a test with theoretical and practical parts about weapons, ballistics and laws
-you have to prove that you own a special gun safe (police and officers can visit you for a check of the correct storage every time)
and then the township gives their ok.

But then you can own up to 2 semi-auto handguns and 2 semi-auto rifles (if you can bring a good reason even more) and as much single shot weapons as you like.

APs are free anyway (for people over 18years) - you can own as much as you like and also don't have to put them in the safe..

Similar here in Slovenia, but we dont need to wait so long, basically we need to have at least one competition and we can apply for permit to acquire. For first pistol I waited 3 weeks , now for second just 4 days.
targetshooter

Post by targetshooter »

Beevo wrote:Congrats! A new one?

I have just purchased one as well.. a used model. Likewise I have put about 500 rounds through and been trying all sorts of ammo. No problems at all. CCI std, SK pistol match, Winchester T22, Geco pistol, Lapua, ELEY club. Cheap and pricey - all types function well. No malfunctions.

In my last three matches there have been others with malfunctioning pistols of every kind. The early MG2's seemed troubled but I gather there have been modifications and the factory seems willing to help update. The story is the same with nearly every current top manufacturer... it takes real world testing to get it right.
Mine is about 2008/9 manufacture and looks as if it was updated just before I got it.

It needed a good clean when I first got it and I intend to keep it that way. Complex machinery works better without gunk!
LOTS of interested lookers at the pistol club. Not many had seen one before. Not easy for the RO to see it is clear due to the extra levers, lifters and ejectors and bits when the slide is locked back so I will get the ISSF indicator happening ASAP. Someone said it looked like a Winchester lever action rifle inside!

My scores have improved already! I love this gun... plus it is the coolest looking thing!
Thanks for posting the photos too! I must get the camera out. I want to shoot some video soon as well.

Yes, a new one. Serial 51xx.
barfoed

Post by barfoed »

It's great that yours work. My MG2 is a new modell 51xx also and I can tell you that the problems are far from sorted out. Same with the MG 4. Still I would get a second MG2 if they got it sorted out. I
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

barfoed wrote:It's great that yours work. My MG2 is a new modell 51xx also and I can tell you that the problems are far from sorted out. Same with the MG 4. Still I would get a second MG2 if they got it sorted out. I
Have you contacted the factory? What issues and what ammo?
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

barfoed wrote:It's great that yours work. My MG2 is a new modell 51xx also and I can tell you that the problems are far from sorted out. Same with the MG 4. Still I would get a second MG2 if they got it sorted out. I
Have you contacted the factory? What issues and what ammo?
barfoed

Post by barfoed »

The MG 4 has been to service twice but is getting better.

The issues were failure to eject, failure to feed. The trigger weight also got lighter by it self. It has a failure rate of 2,1 % after 2500 shots but it is getting better. Most of the problems are probably ammo related. S&B gave failure to eject and light strikes. Magtech has more problems with stove pipe. tride som lapua and they were fine.
Overall the problems are getting better but I have to calculate with one reshoot in each competition. I belive the problems will be resolved when I start loading my own ammo.

On the MG 2 I had 15 failueres to eject and one light strike on the first 400 shots. The failure to clear the previous cartridge resulted in two episodes were the following cartridge were only partially inserted and ignited outside of the chamber. This gave rupture of the brass and the projectile became stuck in the pipe. I actually didn't notice on the second time and fired a third round. Not much fun. Sent it back 3 months ago.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

magtech and sellier bellot are far from reliable ammunition IMHO. i have seen more than a couple magtech .32 not even reach the 25m target.
lapua is top of the line but also so much more expensive. one of the better option for factory ammo on a budget is geco.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

barfoed wrote:The MG 4 has been to service twice but is getting better.

The issues were failure to eject, failure to feed. The trigger weight also got lighter by it self. It has a failure rate of 2,1 % after 2500 shots but it is getting better. Most of the problems are probably ammo related. S&B gave failure to eject and light strikes. Magtech has more problems with stove pipe. tride som lapua and they were fine.
Overall the problems are getting better but I have to calculate with one reshoot in each competition. I belive the problems will be resolved when I start loading my own ammo.

On the MG 2 I had 15 failueres to eject and one light strike on the first 400 shots. The failure to clear the previous cartridge resulted in two episodes were the following cartridge were only partially inserted and ignited outside of the chamber. This gave rupture of the brass and the projectile became stuck in the pipe. I actually didn't notice on the second time and fired a third round. Not much fun. Sent it back 3 months ago.
So... sounds like ammo - even by your own comment... why not use different ammo.? Lapua was fine?
Lapua can cost more but even the Lapua range has a reasonable value option. SK pistol match or ELEY club? All good.
You buy a Ferrari and try to run it on low octane fuel?
Sounds like the casings of your other ammo are too tight in the breech and not seating all the way in... this would give light strike and misfire.

is the breech clean???
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

My MG2 #41xx is faultless on Lapua Pistol King. Had some misfeeds with CCI Standard Velocity. Give it a thorough clean once a year. New aluminum front weight great. Only use it with first stage, second stage backed off completely. My only issue is that trigger can't go rearward far enough with rink grip. Had to make new trigger.