Morini grip finish - or refinishing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
peterleduc

Morini grip finish - or refinishing

Post by peterleduc »

I've got a Morini grip that's going to need some significant material removal to get it to fit right. What type of finish is best to finish the new section to match the old (stock) finish?

I'm OK with my dot stippling technique and figuring I'll use a toothbrush to get the finish into the holes etc. I just need to know what finish product will match best for refinishing.

Thanks guys.
Peter
David M

Post by David M »

My walnut finishing consists of -
1/ Sanding to a fine finish after carving to shape.
2/ Hand stippling (dot at a time with a reshaped centre punch) adding any checkering cutting as required. Lots of time required for a good finish.
3/ Light scrub with fine wire brush to remove any loose fibres.
4/ Hand rubbed with 50/50 Linseed oil/Turps mix. 3 to 5 coats allowing drying overnight between coats to build up finish.
5/ Polished off with soft cotton cloth.
Maintain all grips with a drink every year to keep finish.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've had good luck with most walnut grips made with an oil finish using Watco Danish Oil for any touch up. This is a polymerizing oil finish that sets up harder & faster than linseed oil mixes. I think the Pardini PGP-75 grips are varnished, and I used a Deft brand spray polyurethane on that.

Rink uses some sort of oil finish that never really seems to set. I've had several of their grips leave slight stains in foam gun box liners even after a couple of years.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't give a damn how ugly it is.

My attitude is that I'm going to be tweaking the fit over time; a bit here, a pinch there.

If you don't pick up your gun for a week or so, you'll quickly see where it needs a touch-up. It never ends.