"Junior" vs adult

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jfahey

"Junior" vs adult

Post by jfahey »

Another newbie question - - I am considering buying 1) Feinwerkbau 700 Junior Wood. 2) Feinwerkbau 700 basic, 3) Walther LG 300-XT Junior Air Rifle Laminated stock, 4) Anschutz 8001 Club Air Rifle. Prices are about equal.
The question is will a "junior" rifle work for me? I'm a retired senior (77) 140lbs, 5'7", and very fit. It would appear that the measurements, - length, weight are pretty close. Obviously I like the color s and lamination of the Junior guns. I will most likely be a recreational shooter - I certainly enjoy the sport. Thanks
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Insofar as I'm aware, the Junior in airguns refers to the fact that they are a bit lighter and have a shorter length of pull. you can always get spacers or such to make the length of pull a bit longer but for your stature it should be OK.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I'm 5'4" with a measured 12" Length of Pull (LoP).
I shoot a P70 Junior.

The biggest thing for me is the shorter LoP. I am a casual shooter, so I don't shoot with a shooting jacket. My AR coach reduced the LoP to the minimum the rifle will do, about 11-3/4". And that made a big difference, for me. That made me realize that I should be shooting Junior sized rifles, not full size "adult" rifles.

As for the weight, I would rather have a bit more weight, especially up at the muzzle, to dampen my wobble. I put a couple Anchutz barrel weights on mine, but would rather have a FWB barrel weight.

The other "issue" is most/all junior rifles are ambidextrous, or neither right nor left-handed. Where this shows itself is in the pistol grip. My thumb prefers a standard RH grip, the ambi grip is not comfortable for my thumb.
jfahey

Thanks for the Help

Post by jfahey »

Great info - - I ordered a FWB 700 Junior Wood 5 minutes ago. Wheee!