NRA matches...club teams

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Abi

NRA matches...club teams

Post by Abi »

At NRA Smallbore matches, when shooting as a team, the rulebook states that all members of the team must be active dues paying members of the same club (Open club)...my question is, does that club have to be affiliated with the NRA. I have not seen this written anywhere, but recently someone brought it up.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Abi ... missed you there this year.

No, I do not think the teams (or individuals) must be affiliated/members.
Nice if they are, NRA and AMU put a lot of effort into this year's event.

Their goal is to make the event bigger each year.
Abi

Post by Abi »

Mr. Martin,

Thanks for replying. I graduated last year which is why I was not at the Collegiate Club Championships. I do find it disappointed the lack of coverage though, I had to hunt for any info on the results.

My question though is not directed towards collegiate club programs. I am looking at NRA rule 2.11 which states that a club team "may" be affiliated with the NRA. After much internet searching it appears that this is at the discretion of the match director. I have not been to a match that requires this, but I have found a few match programs online that mention it.

In other words, if we were putting together an Open Club team (2.11b), would it be necessary or beneficial to "affiliate" with the NRA.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Abi wrote:In other words, if we were putting together an Open Club team (2.11b), would it be necessary or beneficial to "affiliate" with the NRA.
No, you do not have to affiliate and the shooters do not even have to be NRA members.

Tori has been working very hard over the last few years to try and make this clear, but the way that the NRA requires that the programs be published tends to make that unclear.

The two shooters I had this year were individuals from schools that have no shooting club at all. They are simply shooters enrolled full time in school ... one a University and another a local community college.

I think that this program that the NRA has put together is one of the best ways to carry shooters over from their high school years, thru college, and into their "adult" lives. I encourage all who may be in the position of being in a "college", not shooting on an NCAA team, be it individual or with the club to shoot in the NRA Intercollegiate Sectional, including ROTC programs.
--- Don't have a sectional nearby? Get a few shooters together and do one yourself ... contact Tori and she'll guide you thru getting it done.
Victoria "Tori" Croft
National Manager,
NRA Collegiate & School Programs
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA. 22030
ph: 703.267.1473
fx: 703.267.3941
The national intercollegiate sectional bulletin lists shooters broken out by NCAA, Intercollegiate "club", and ROTC.

If you are an undergraduate shooter, full time in college, in community college, even full time in a trade school, you should try and get to this match.

Coverage: Any match at Benning is going to be hampered by coverage to the internet. They are one of the largest military bases in the US, and thus have security concerns.
NRA tends to think that the match bulletin (sent in August) is enough.
They did have some "coverage" and photos on the NRABLOG.com, but nothing like everyone's scores.
Some still live in the dark ages as it would not be hard at all with a wireless hotspot to get these out. My shooters took their banquet bulletins back to school with them yesterday, else I'd scan & post.
Eventually, results will make their way to this page ... currently has sectional and past championship results.
http://competitions.nra.org/news-and-ev ... oting.aspx
gwsb

team membership

Post by gwsb »

In almost all NRA matches team members must be a member of the team for which they are shooting and the club must be affiliated with NRA. In addition the team members must have been a member of the club for 30 days prior to the match.

Exceptions to this rule are Junior and Collegiate matches.

There was, some years ago at Camp Perry a very good shooter who would form a "pickup team". His club was affiliated but the membership was secret even from the shooters until at Perry when he found out which good shooters could and would shoot with him. His "club" won several team National Championships this way.
Abi

Post by Abi »

@jhmartin
Thanks again for replying, but I am not discussing collegiate shooting. I am referring to shooting as a team at a regular plain old smallbore match. Representing a regular ol' shooting club.

@gwsb
You are more on the right track of what I am asking. You say that in "almost all" NRA matches that teams "must" be affiliated. Can you provide any actual examples of this, as in links to match programs? The rulebook states that teams "may" be affiliated, leaving the option open to the Match Director. I have not been able to identify many instances where this is clearly written in a match program.

Thank you for your help.

Abi
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

I believe the team / members must be NRA members for registered NRA matches, but not for "approved" matches.

The rule book has the final say...
Ken