Anyone chosen the 162ei over the LP10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Beancrock

Anyone chosen the 162ei over the LP10?

Post by Beancrock »

I am looking for a replacment for my FWB 65 and really like the look of the Morini but it seems like the LP10 is better represented in the top level matches. If I go for the morini will i be giving up anything?

Also is the reliability of these pistols about equal?
peterleduc

162ei vs. LP10

Post by peterleduc »

When upgrading from my first AP, I choose the 162ei over the LP10 for a few reasons some of which are still valid and apply to you and some don't. I purchased a 162e model for my first AP and loved it and loved the Morini grip. Seeing as how Morini makes the LP10 grip it shouldn't be much (if at all) different. The reasons I went with the 162ei are below.

#1, Dry fire training, all day long without cocking the action. This is a huge advantage and also the reason I purchased a Pardini SP Electronic
#2, the price of the LP10 is more prohibitive ($500-1000 more).
#3, LP10 weights more
#4, Electronic trigger feels better to me (this is very subjective to individual users). Most people love it, some don't.

Major advantages the LP10 has over the Morini
#1, trigger adjustability - rotate the trigger, move it up and down etc.
#2, grip adjustability - angle and cant,
#3, recoil compensator

It's actually sad to me that Morini hasn't upgraded the trigger of the 162EI to match the adjustability of the FWB, Steyr or Pardini. They're loosing significant sales to other brands because of this. Updating the grip so it's adjustable wouldn't be that difficult as well but it would require a redesign of the electronics and they've already done that once. From what I've read, Morini makes and ships the 162ei by the pallet full to China. They have no problems selling them, thus there's no need to redesign the wheel in their opinion.

My 0.02 worth
Misny

Post by Misny »

I picked the Morini over the Steyr after shooting both, primarily due to the electronic trigger and the fact that I found a good deal on an as new in the box example. Of course that was long before the Steyr with the new electronic trigger. If price isn't a factor, you might want to go with the new Steyr.
Shinfay

Post by Shinfay »

I did. I bought a Morini 162 EI in 2010 and used it for some weeks but because of the fame of the LP10 I sold it and bought a second hand Steyr.

After shooting the Steyr LP10 mechanical trigger for almost 3 years I decided to move back to a Morini 162EI this year. The reasons I did it was:
- the electronic trigger is very smooth and precise
- the Grip that comes with de Morini 162Ei, although from the same manufacturer as the Steyr, seems to fit much better my hand (very comfortable size and stable)
- the excess of adjusting options of the Steyr grip and trigger seems to make me loose a lot of time sometimes. IMO, you try, try and try diferent positions and angles and can´t decide what´s best.
- the little recoil in the Morini isn´t a problem and I find it useful for training the hold and follow through. If my technique isn´t right when the pellet leaves the barrel I´ll know it immediately.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I watched John Zurek shoot a 585 with a 162ie a couple of weeks ago.

I know he bought it because he got a better price on it.

He showed up yesterday with an LP1 because he liked the way it fit his hand. He got it cheap.

He said he found it hard to "read" a bad shot with it, though.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I don't think you are giving up anything, IF you can get the grips on a Morini to suit you. I'll admit that I like my Steyr quite a bit, but the Morini has a lovely trigger, with considerably more fore-and-aft adjustment range. Important with my short fingers.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I think that the question nowadays is more 162EI vs. LP10E because people interested by the Morini are usually E-trigger lovers.
BEA

air pistols

Post by BEA »

I think the Morini may have fallen out of favor with the top shooters because the design has gotten a bit old. However, I think it is a very nice and capable AP. I borrowed a friends 162 Titanium for a couple weeks a while back and liked it a lot. I am not sure the addition of a titanium striker really makes that much difference but Morini probably felt pressured to change in an attempt to re-invent the model. If I were going to purchase one now I might go with the standard model and save a few dollars. I think the standard model with the deep bluing and colored cylinder is a beautiful AP. Their trigger is really nice. At any rate, I went through several AP's over the years and liked and shot them all pretty much the same starting with the FWB2, LP1, Walther CPM1 and LP10. I shot decent scores with all of them. My first AP was the FWB 65 and though it is an excellent starter AP, I think they are a little harder to shoot. The first thing that really attracted me to each of them initially was looks and reputation. In order to shoot your AP well, you have to like it and want to hold it. You have to want to be seen with it on the line, feeling proud and confident. Shooting is mainly psychological you know. The balance, recoil and whatnot can be gotten used to or changed somewhat to taste. Bottom line, purchase the one you "like". None of the models from the top manufacturers will hold you back and they all have good records for durability.
Last edited by BEA on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yana

Post by yana »

Who gives a bean what pistol is better represented at matches???
Dont look at yr neighbours..choose yrsélf, choose what pistol suits YOU best
They're áll just as accurate, just different..
Beancrock

Post by Beancrock »

Well I've had the Morini for about a week now and love it. I did have a chance to try a friends lp10 before buying any even though it was very nice the grip didn't feel right. The morini fits great.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I personally would not buy a pistol based on the grip having a better fit. In fact I try to buy without the grip and then find/make/modify a grip to suit.
To me it's about the pistol being suitable and then sourcing the appropriate grip.
jipe

Post by jipe »

deadeyedick wrote:I personally would not buy a pistol based on the grip having a better fit. In fact I try to buy without the grip and then find/make/modify a grip to suit.
To me it's about the pistol being suitable and then sourcing the appropriate grip.
+1, you can change the grip anytime you want but you can't change the rest of the pistol.

I bought almost all my pistols without grip and fitted a Rink grip with the shape/size that fits my hand.

For the one I bought with a grip, its because I was forced to do so and I replaced the original grip by also a Rink.

So all my pistols feel as similar as possible.
conradin

Re: Anyone chosen the 162ei over the LP10?

Post by conradin »

Beancrock wrote:I am looking for a replacment for my FWB 65 ...
Let me know when you are going to sell it. I want to get a FWB65 as a starter for my partner.