60 shot concentration

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Winstanley94

60 shot concentration

Post by Winstanley94 »

Has anybody got any tips or tricks for keeping concentration through a whole 60 shot air pistol match. Currently hitting the mid 530 consistently and once or twice 540+ but would like to consistently hit that with the odd 550 this year. Reasonable shooting for 5 string, example broken up by two or three 42's and 43's. Also even on good cards the odd 8's and these are really dragging the scores down. Any other information would also be appreciated.

Thank you
scerir

Re: 60 shot concentration

Post by scerir »

During a competition there is a lot of tension and, sometimes, also noise. Imo it is important to have at least the same tension and much much noise also during training. (Of course it is also important to shoot well, but this is another topic.)
Winstanley94

Post by Winstanley94 »

True, I did recently try to find some distracting material on youtube etc to use whilst dryfiring but is difficult to find any good stuff. The ranges I train at are usually quite which is annoying as this is unlike the championships etc. Do you know where I can find any content to use or how to best go about distraction training.

Recently although dropping significantly in score, I made the final for junior men 10 m air pistol at the British championships but even though I had no chance, due to the old rules of moving up from last place, there was still significantly more tension than ever before with the audience etc. At my club we tried a training final had had nothing like the tension experienced. Are there any ways to recreate this tension or is it just a matter of experience?

Thank you for the time
Misny

Post by Misny »

I've played a portable video player, elevated to eye level and to the side of course, as a distraction, while practicing. It does seem to help my focus. The only other thing that I would recommend is to take many rest periods. This meaning to lay the pistol down and maybe sit down. Too many times I find myself gripping the pistol for extended periods. For me, increased fatigue = less focus.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You only need to concentrate for the last bit when you drop into the aiming area and focus on the sights. If your mind wanders too much then stop and take a break. You should train your mental skills as well so as to be able to re-focus and avoid distractions. Another tip is to think of nothing but the shot in the gun. Don't keep score, don't look at your neighbours cards just on what your doing.

Rob.
ron88nnie

Post by ron88nnie »

RobStubbs wrote:You only need to concentrate for the last bit when you drop into the aiming area and focus on the sights. If your mind wanders too much then stop and take a break. You should train your mental skills as well so as to be able to re-focus and avoid distractions. Another tip is to think of nothing but the shot in the gun. Don't keep score, don't look at your neighbours cards just on what your doing.

Rob.
Would you have any reading materials on the mental part of the game ? Appreciate it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There's a lot of good info on our hosts site:

http://www.pilkguns.com/menu_coaching.shtml

The "On The Firing Line Articles" are a good place to start.

The three books that I've seen recommended more often than any others are:

Zen And the Art of Archery

With Winning in Mind

The Inner Game of Tennis
ron88nnie

Post by ron88nnie »

Gwhite wrote:There's a lot of good info on our hosts site:

http://www.pilkguns.com/menu_coaching.shtml

The "On The Firing Line Articles" are a good place to start.

The three books that I've seen recommended more often than any others are:

Zen And the Art of Archery

With Winning in Mind

The Inner Game of Tennis
Thank you very much. ron.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

This may be just something that works for me, but try closing your eyes from the time you pick up a pellet until just before you lift. it both rests your eyes and gives you a clear mental break between everything else and shooting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As mentioned there's a lot of good mental stuff out there, you just need to read the book and see if it reasonates with you. Mental approaches are very personal, so what works for one person may not for you. But for me the best place to start is 'with winning in mind - Lanny Bassham' as mentioned above.

The first thing to work out is what you should be doing, then work out how to acheive that and lastly train and practice it.

Rob.