Stance & stuff

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Stance & stuff

Post by Rover »

I just pulled this out of the Shooters Lounge to repost here with a different slant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnXV-Njedg

Close observation of this will give the newer (and not so new) shooter a wealth of information on "how-to". It will answer many questions that are frequently asked here.

I was astounded by the number of "8"s shot by top European shooters. It makes me feel a lot better about my own performance.
jackh

Post by jackh »

They better watch out.

I just ordered a Steyr......
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

It certainly is interesting to see how this new twist in finals puts more obvious pressure on each shooter. The potential for being the next one to load the weedwacker and head for the bench makes those 8's show up with greater frequency as things progress it seems. Quite a nail-biter. Here's the same uploader's video of the women's final from the same match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zk0INctfo
Seems the women didn't suffer so many 8's, though there was one 7.9 right near the end.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gerard wrote:The potential for being the next one to load the weedwacker and head for the bench...
Nice description!

We just had our Nationals, first time under new finals rules for most of us. I got to load the weadwacker and sit down earlier than I would have liked!
jackh

Post by jackh »

I must be a shooter. Some people I know would be totally bored watching that. But I like it.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hell no, who would find that boring? This shizzle's gonna be the next big thing on TV! It'll save the Olympics! Now if only I could get my wife to watch more than about .05 seconds of it...

New meme?

j-team

Post by j-team »

Ok, I have to admit, I fast forwarded a lot of it.

The on screen graphic needs the running total, otherwise you can't tell who is doing what.

Also, is that an old fixed cylinder model Morini the second place shooter was using?

Regarding that pic: Is pointing the pistol at you own face to load the weedwacker a good look or what!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I know, right? After skipping the lengthy introductions between prep time and competition and watching all of the formal shooting without skipping, it seemed to me at least three of the competitors were struggling a bit too long to get their weedwackers through their compensators. And yeah, several would have been reprimanded by our local club's RO for unsafe muzzle direction. I got scolded on my very first visit to the club (first at any club for that matter) for cocking my Izzy and sweeping the shooter next to me with the barrel while the lever was fully forward. I immediately adapted my cocking method such that the barrel only pointed downrange, but that's a noob mistake. Seeing unsafe practice at a top level competition due to a strange new rule is kind of disconcerting. The possibility of sending a bad message to younger shooters seems kind of obvious.
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's right, Gerard. I thought we all could learn something by watching it.

JackH Since you're buying the Steyr, will you be shooting lots of "8"s? Did you order it with extra weedwhacker?

BTW Did you notice that generally the stance of the men and women was different? I noticed the stance of the men was fairly uniform. So much for NPA.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Rover wrote: BTW Did you notice that generally the stance of the men and women was different? I noticed the stance of the men was fairly uniform. So much for NPA.
In this example stance may have been quite uniform. That's not normally the case though. You see a variety of stance angles, feet positions etc down the line, and if you look at the qualifying rounds, you'll see an even greater variation. I think we've also covered NPA, which is a slight falacy, in that it's a trained position rather than a 'natural' one.

Rob.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Please inform the uninformed as to just what a "weedwacker" is.
dronning

Post by dronning »

toddinjax wrote:Please inform the uninformed as to just what a "weedwacker" is.
Plastic weedwacker (weed trimmer) line is used for a safety flag. In the video you can see them inserting it in their pistols when they get eliminated. It must be a new rule too because several of them leave the line and then come back and insert it.

Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

Rob, I thought the stance uniformity might be meaningful since it was the BEST eight shooters, not the run-of-the-mill lot.

Go to any range and you'll see all kinds of stances, and they're calling them NPAs. I agree NPA is a fallacy.

A weedwhacker is a tool that spins the plastic line fast enough to chop down grass and weeds. The stuff they're cramming into their guns is weedwhacker refill line. I don't know how common this is in Europe; very common in U.S. We give it away free at my range.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Rover wrote:Rob, I thought the stance uniformity might be meaningful since it was the BEST eight shooters, not the run-of-the-mill lot.
Perhaps I was unclear. I meant look at the eight in say the Munich world cup, and they will be different. I've taken pictures of the finals from most events I've been to (WC's) and its quite obvious that the worlds best shooters stand differently.

Rob.
Randy152

Shoes?

Post by Randy152 »

In watching the video it looks like Ekimov and Gourianov are wearing regular shoes. For some reason it immediately caught my eye. You can see at the beginning and about 32:25
RobStubbs

Re: Shoes?

Post by RobStubbs »

Randy152 wrote:In watching the video it looks like Ekimov and Gourianov are wearing regular shoes. For some reason it immediately caught my eye. You can see at the beginning and about 32:25
Yes most of the Russians seem to wear trainers as do quite a lot of others. I'd guess a good 20-30% of elite shooters wear normal footwear...

Rob.