Steyr LP10 Grip advice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
acrybb

Steyr LP10 Grip advice

Post by acrybb »

Hi folks,

I have recently managed to get myself a used 2008 Steyr LP10 Pistol. It is in very very good condition and shoots well. It needed a little adjustment to the stabiliser as it wasn't coming back far enough. Anyway the question is this. On the pistol it has an extra large grip. My hands to be honest are not extra large. Measuring across the palm as suggested suggests on the Steyr website I am on the border between medium & large grips. When holding the pistol with the extra large grip it feels fine, I am aware if I kept this grip a little buffing will be required along the trigger finger area. everywhere else seems fine. The centre bone in my fingers are at the front of the grip and my thumb can sit relatively well on the thumb rest. Do you think its worth trying to find a large grip? Or would I be as well to engineer the one I have around my hand in the little bits that may need it?

It was suggested doing a talc test. Cover my hand in talc and fire off a couple of shots and see where the high spots are. There seemed to be good coverage on the grip afterwards. Maybe the grips are just small made?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

From xl to l is not very much difference so if it fits then save the money. One question I'd ask is how far up do you need to raise the palm shelf to get a good, snug fit ?

Rob.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Not measured but under 10mm
Rover

Post by Rover »

What Rob said.

Whatever grip you get, it will need a bit of tweaking....so tweak what ya got! It's much easier to take off wood than to add putty.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

so Dremmel it then?

What pellets do you find work in your LP10? i was using JSB Match (Blue tin heavy 4.51 rifle pellets) They work nice. i sized 25 of them today and that was even better. I am trying RWS R10 pellets first shot with them was a bit shotgun the JSB were pretty much 8 ring all the way.

Thanks
Andy
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yep, do the Dremel. (Or whatever it takes.)

I don't know what you're doing with your pellets to test them, but any you mentioned should clean the "11" ring. I found sizing increased group size in my tests and JSB Green was the most accurate in the three guns I tried them in.

I found RWS Basic pellets were pretty good, especially for the price.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

someone mentioned the green and yellow ones ill try get a sample of them.

Thanks

Andy
Rover

Post by Rover »

I heard you Scots were thrifty. Try the Basics.

If you're interested, you can do a search on "pellet test" by Rover and find several of them.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Normally the LP10 will have been tested in the factory with 4.49. When you test, use a chrono to indicate the most consistent muzzle velocity. The LP10 tends to give most consistent results with 525 to 530fps. There are plenty of test results about. Some of the air rifle pellets are slightly heavier which may give a flatter trajectory. Have fun testing.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Ill probably go for 525ft/s with a 7 grain pellet thats about 4.3 ft/lbs. So it therefore should not chrono over with a 10.5 grain (the heaviest .177 i have head of) it will be about 6.4 when hitting 525ft/s which it wont as it will be slower than the 7 grain pellet.

Advice on this is also useful :)

Andy
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

acrybb wrote:Ill probably go for 525ft/s with a 7 grain pellet thats about 4.3 ft/lbs. So it therefore should not chrono over with a 10.5 grain (the heaviest .177 i have head of) it will be about 6.4 when hitting 525ft/s which it wont as it will be slower than the 7 grain pellet.

Advice on this is also useful :)

Andy
It won't go over 6ft/lb as it will just put out heavier pellets at a slower speed. I use 4.50's as in mine 4.49's are too sloppy. I use H&N but R10s are equally good, and I know a lot folks use and rate JSBs. As long as you get a decent quality brand, it won't make a whole heap of difference.

Rob.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

If you have the original test group for the LP10, it will indicate what pellets were used. The groups that come with all LP10s that I've seen were fired with 4.49mm pellets.

The group with my LP10 was typical of most I have seen - one ragged hole of about 6mm diameter (a group size of about 1.5mm). For me, the message could not be clearer. I use RWS 4.49 pellets.

I am collecting different pellets for machine rest testing but this is a low priority. I believe I already have my answer.
dronning

Post by dronning »

My LP10E was also tested with 4.49 pellets with a group size of less than 1MM. I am currently using the same pellets I use for my MAR177 rifle 4.5mm 8.1GR Vogel Merlin Match. A bench rest test of these pellets showed a very small increase in group size but it's still one hole and holds the X-ring.

I won't be testing any more pellets after reading this: Mako's Home Pellet Testing Range

Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, my Steyr was tested with 4.50 H&N. So what.

Do you really think that Steyr has people sitting around doing nothing but testing pellets for you? Hell, no. They try any pellet they have laying around and if the group is decent, it's good enough for you and that's what you bought. (Not that 5 shot groups are statistically meaningful anyway.)

If you think any of this means anything, just do a Search. You'll find it means close to ZERO for a pistol shooter.

I don't do pellet tests anymore, either.

BTW Here's what a pellet maker has to say:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=17682
Last edited by Rover on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Rover wrote:Do you really think that Steyr has people sitting around doing nothing but testing pellets for you? Hell, no. They try any pellet they have laying around and if the group is decent, it's good enough for you and that's what you bought. (Not that 5 shot groups are statistically meaningful anyway.)
I was lucky enough to spend a day in the Hammerli factory in 1982 with some time on the test range. On the range, they had boxes of all types of ammo. When I asked which ammo do you use in each pistol, they said that they use whatever ammo produces an acceptable group - hence the variety of ammo. If the first one wasn't good enough, they would try another until the group size was OK. Then they would punch it out and clip it in the little Hammerli circular display case and on to the next one. I don't think they wrote which ammo was used on the test group in those days.

I noticed all the 32 S&W Long cases on the floor and in bins (from P240 testing), I asked what they did with them and was told they were sold for scrap. When I explained that target shooters load their own and new cases were highly sought after, they gave me a box of about 1500 of the once fired cases. I am still using them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, Marchant...

Nice work! I think we should drink a pint or two together...

http://www.tenrings.co.uk/12603.html
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

We need a "should I test pellets in my air pistol?" flowchart.

Here's a start, text-only:

Should I test pellets in my air pistol? -> No.

That should cover 99.32% of cases.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Rover, thanks for the compliment.
Pellet testing can be very time consuming and not always provide the conclusive answer that you are looking or hoping for.
Once you have eliminated the "thought" of faulty pellets you can take the new found confidence onto the range and then you have to deal with the fact that incorrectly placed shots are nearly always down to operator error and not equipment failure.
acrybb

Post by acrybb »

Tha is for all the help and comments. The grip is ok it could do with a little more adjustment on the hand shelf but a little modification would sort that out no problem.

As for pellet testing. It seems there is a universal answer. Buy a decent pellet and worry not.

Sounds good to me :).

I have encountered another weirdness though. I'm right handed, right eye dominant. However I shoot off the left eye much better. My right eye loses concentration and flicks its focus between sights and target. My left eye stays focussed on the foresight happily.

I'm happy to shoot like this but I need to make it more natural to do in a stance.

Thanks
Andy
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The slightly awkward stance required for shooting right handed with the left eye is normally only adopted by those with left eye dominance and can take quite a while to master.
As you have only been shooting for a relatively short time it may be best to persevere with getting used to shooting using the right eye and if need be, use a blinder for the left eye to aid your focus.
The focus flitting from target to foresight is quite normal, but one that you have to try to train your self to focus only on the foresight.
If you find that your focus is constantly slipping out to the aiming mark, then
abort the shot process and start again. Get as much range time as possible to enable you to perfect your accepted sight image along with getting more used to appreciating and controlling your muscular reactions to the shot release from the pistol.