anyone familiar with the OCAT laser system?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

anyone familiar with the OCAT laser system?

Post by coolcruiser »

This system, new to me, seems like a lower cost variation of the SCATT system for dryfire. With the cost and availability of ammo this becomes an attractive option for practice. Anyone have any experience using the OCAT?

website is: outwestsystems.com
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I went to the web site and looked around and also looked at one of the videos. The system does not show your hold or anything about what happens before or after the shot- only the shot is shown. That is one of the main things about the Scatt and Noptel systems.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Looks like a glorified digi-scoping rig with a smart bit of computer vision to plot the fall of shot into the software, with an option for it to capture the position of the laser spot instead of a bullet hole.

Lacks the approach/recoil traces and all the other bits that make SCATT and NOPTEL what they are.
This is the (relatively expensive!) equivalent of taking a photo of your target (or sticking it in your shooting diary) to compare against your next session.
softreset

Re: anyone familiar with the OCAT laser system?

Post by softreset »

I like the fact that it'll support live fire at 50 yards. Unless I'm misreading the SCATT or NOPTEL product pages, neither of them do that. The one thing that I don't like about the OCAT system is the 7-day return/exchange window. At $500+ (based on the package) it's much cheaper than the other solutions which is good but I'd sure hate to make the purchase, take it out to the range and find out it doesn't do what I want or work as well as I had hoped. The 'no hassle, money back guarantee' is a nice luxury when trying out a niche product.

Because of that, I went from considering their product to not giving it the time of day.
OutWestSystems

Post by OutWestSystems »

I'm with OutWest Systems. We've adjusted our return policy to provide a 30 day return window as we realize it could take some time to properly evaluate the system. I hope with that change you will consider the OCAT System.

Also, we'll be posting a video soon showing how OCATS can be used in its laser trace mode to provide a line tracing of the weapon's movement before and after a shot. Note, this will be done using live fire.

Please post here or email us at info@outwestystems.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Paul W.
OutWest Systems
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

softreset wrote:I like the fact that it'll support live fire at 50 yards. Unless I'm misreading the SCATT or NOPTEL product pages, neither of them do that.
The base systems are set up for 10m dry-fire but NOPTEL supports live fire, although it'll need the better (expensive!) prisms at 50m+.

SCATT can definitely be used for "live" air as well as dry. I've got a feeling you can get a frame suitable for live rimfire, but as you say the website is a bit pidgin English.
SCATT can also be used at 50m but needs a premium frame with better sensors.
coolcruiser

Post by coolcruiser »

Hi Paul....the trace feature is useful so I look forward to the website update for details of how it works. For the future I wonder if you may offer a means of recording the trace on a computer. The trace leading up to the shot is particularly useful to determine hold and approach.
Thanks
Tom

"Also, we'll be posting a video soon showing how OCATS can be used in its laser trace mode to provide a line tracing of the weapon's movement before and after a shot. Note, this will be done using live fire.

Please post here or email us at info@outwestystems.com if you have any questions."

Thanks,
Paul W.
OutWest Systems
softreset

Post by softreset »

OutWestSystems wrote:I'm with OutWest Systems. We've adjusted our return policy to provide a 30 day return window as we realize it could take some time to properly evaluate the system. I hope with that change you will consider the OCAT System.
Paul,

Excellent. That's definitely a big help. The "new & unused" condition is a bit vague though. How am I suppose to use it and see if I like it? Then if I don't but "use it" it's now no longer in a new, unused condition which prevents me from returning it. I'm certainly not going to go and break it and then try to ship it back but it's pretty much impossible to keep the product from showing ANY signs of wear.

Definition of new, unaltered and unused condition is:

without showing signs of wear or damage in any way
OutWestSystems

Post by OutWestSystems »

We've clarified the returns policy to allow normal handling and use. We're not going to be concerned about some fingerprints or minor scuffs. We just want to be sure returned items are still in decent shape, basically useable and unbroken.

Hope that helps.

Paul W.
OutWest Systems, Inc.
softreset

Post by softreset »

Paul,

I appreciate your timely responses here. I think I'll given your product a go this season. Thanks again!
OutWestSystems

Post by OutWestSystems »

We've posted a new video at http://www.ocats.com/video/ showing the laser trace function of the OCAT System.

To clarify an earlier remark, the OCATS standard kit is rated for use out to 100 yards with live fire. With our long-range kit, the system can be used at 1000 yards or more. Using laser dry-fire the range is dependent on the power of the laser for the most part.

Paul W.
OutWest Systems, Inc.