Marvel .22 Conversion Lower Recommendations

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Cundiff5535

Marvel .22 Conversion Lower Recommendations

Post by Cundiff5535 »

Hey guys this is a spin off of a previous thread I posted... Where I was looking for a .22 Pistol. I am probably going to be going with the Feinwerkbau AW93 but, thats not really the topic at hand.

I have been able to get a Brand new NightHawk Custom Marvel .22 Conversion upper.

I do not want to be taking apart my 1911's over and over.

So, what lower/frame would you recommend buying? I think 5K for the Nighthawk full Marvel .22 is a little ridiculous so, thats out of the question.

It looks like I will have to build the entire thing. I also have a Gun Smith that can fit everything and make it all really nice.

If you guys were building a lower and could pick parts, what would you go with?

Looking for all parts worth investing into!

I know there were specific mag recommendations... anything else? STI Frame? Cast or Forged?

You get the idea!

Thanks,
Bc
GOVTMODEL

Marvel Lower

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Caspian/Foster
jackh

Post by jackh »

Les Baer along with the Caspian are the cream of the crop.
Roddy Toyota made my 22 lower and two 45 guns. All Les Baer.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

I have built 4 complete marvel guns, the first two i went with a essex frame from brownells and they were very good, the second two were built with foster frames from caspian , one was a second picked up at perry and it was a nightmare. Many hours of work was needed to get it to run reliable, the last was built with a grade A non second and it turned out the best. Be sure to use the best parts available, i used pins, and trigger parts from EGW and they were very good. I have also seen people buy the cheap rock island 1911 and use it with a good trigger job worked fine too.
Cundiff5535

Post by Cundiff5535 »

Great stuff here! Thanks
Misny

Post by Misny »

I have my Marvel Precision Unit 1 mounted on a Springfield Armory "Loaded" frame. The only thing I did was a trigger job and it has been extremely reliable and accurate. I bought the SA used for under $700, I believe.
mparker

Post by mparker »

I'm planning to go with a Trojan lower from STI. Shouldn't need much more than trigger work.
jtg6

Post by jtg6 »

I built mine on an Fusion stainless frame (they come out of Binghamton NY) with Cylinder & Slide lightweight trigger group, it breaks cleanly at 2lbs. I shoot this gun better than my AW93 which I am think about selling. The comfort of the 1911 there is no better, I use the plastic mags from Marvel & have never had any problems feeding any ammo. It groups the best with SK I have found out.
Good luck
agentr

Post by agentr »

Pick any you want...but I think you are defeating the purpose of the conversion unit. It's designed to let you train with the trigger you have on your current 1911 without having the recoil distraction, or cost, of the 45 cal round. I know lots of guys who compete using the Marvel because it is such a fine tool. Some have dedicated lowers, some don't. I don't feel it makes much difference so long as you have an adequate trigger job.
Cundiff5535

Post by Cundiff5535 »

Does anyone know a good bullseye gunsmith? I would like to have someone who has done several of these to assemble my new pistol!

Thanks
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Joe Chambers, Chambers Custom Pistols. He does beautiful work and the most amazing roll triggers.
Cundiff5535

Post by Cundiff5535 »

trulyapostolic wrote:Joe Chambers, Chambers Custom Pistols. He does beautiful work and the most amazing roll triggers.
Where's is he located??
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Cundiff5535

Post by Cundiff5535 »

Can anyone here tell me why you would want to avoid a Stainless Steel Lower vs Carbon Steel?

And if avoiding SS is so important, why are some folks and custom builders not buying into that?

Thanks
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I used an old military 1911A1 frame with all new innards. It was the least expensive option.