USASNC flying with 2 rifles in one case

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walther101

USASNC flying with 2 rifles in one case

Post by Walther101 »

I am planning on shooting both air and SB at USAS Nationals this year and am considering flying with my air and SB in a Pelican 1700 (short) case. If I take the actions out of the stocks and take grips/check pieces off I can fit both with ~0.5in around everything.

I am using the short 1700 case because I don't want to get charged an extra fee for a oversize bag because the 1720 case I have is over 62in.

Has anyone flown with their rifles packed like this? Would I be better off flying with my larger case or shipping my rifles?

Thanks,
Walther101
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Done both have the long Pelican, the mid STORM and the short STORM.
The only issue I have with pulling the actions out of the stocks is that the triggers are then vulnerable. Unless you remove the triggers too.

Most airline will even treat the long Pelican as Sporting gear and not charge you extra. Fit into the conversation that you are going to the "US National Championships" and it seems to work (so far)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

jhmartin wrote:Done both have the long Pelican(1750), the mid STORM(3200) and the short STORM(3100).
The only issue I have with pulling the actions out of the stocks is that the triggers are then vulnerable. Unless you remove the triggers too.

Most airline will even treat the long Pelican as Sporting gear and not charge you extra. Fit into the conversation that you are going to the "US National Championships" and it seems to work (so far)
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

This is what it would look like in the case. I would take the trigger shoes off of both rifles

Walther101
Attachments
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

You are in North Carolina. Why not drive?

If you fly with that packing job, something will get dinged. As stated in another thread, I believe the safest place to keep your barreled action is in the stock.

Eric U
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Eric,

I am currently in Grad school in NM, which is a 24hr drive. If I was at home in NC I would just drive.

Walther101