9 mm "competitiion" type steel plate gun

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Chef247

9 mm "competitiion" type steel plate gun

Post by Chef247 »

Good evening!

I'm in the market for a 9mm. I did shoot some steel plate matches and combat matches years ago and would like to get back into it.

I'm looking for something that I can shoot fairly well out of the box. The CZ SP - 01 keeps coming up. I can get a new one from my local guy for around $650. I've been a bullseye shooter for years and do well. I fully realize that something out of the box won't perform like my custom target pistol and I don't expect it to; however, I'd like to have a good base gun to start with. I can tweak it later.

I've got the Springfield XDM in .40..... but want something with a bit less felt recoil. I'd like something full sized, steel frame with a rail on the frame.

What might you suggest?
Thanks
David M

Post by David M »

If you want competition quality out of the box, have a look at the Tanfoglio and SigSauer X5/X6 range.
http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/home.php
http://www.sigsauer.com/catalogproductd ... ition.aspx
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It sort of comes down to what you like a DA/SA like the Sig or the striker fired firearm like an M&P, Glock act. Personally I find the striker fired firearms mor to my liking you have a consistent trigger pull and the operation is easier, no other safeties and decocting. But I do like my Sig P226 the first DA trigger pull at 10lbs is nice and smooth (a bit long) but the SA trigger on the following shots is great with the SRT trigger its a very short rest and as smooth as they get.
Rob

Post by Rob »

My wife shoots a 3rd gen Glock 34 with minor spring changes, that brings the trigger pull down to a little above 3#. 100% reliable, and 2.5" groups at 25 yards all day long.
She likes the slant grip style guns better, than the 45 grip autos. Last year I put a fiber optic front sight on, and a Heinie rear sight on. It might not be what you exactly want, but its a setup thats reliable and hard to beat.
If you like steel plate shooting, the PSA steel plate chalenge has registration open now. (Palmarya Pa.) Lots of fun no matter what you bring to shoot. And people come from all over to have fun.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

As far as I am concerned the Pardini GT9 is the best gun, hands down.
Only draw back is the price.
Chef247

Post by Chef247 »

Thanks everyone. After some more research and speaking with a number of people at the club...... I went for the CZ SP01. I am not disappointed.
I found one new at my local shop for $649..... It shoots great, has nice action and fantastic grips. My friend loaded some 147 gr bullets with 3.7 grains for me. It functioned very well with nice recoil.....
mparker

Post by mparker »

STI Trojan is a good value out of the box.
David M

Post by David M »

Now begins the quest for the perfect 9mm load..........
j-team

Post by j-team »

David M wrote:Now begins the quest for the perfect 9mm load..........
I'm still looking after 25 years!
sparky

Post by sparky »

Not that this place isn't great, but for a more relevant forum, check out:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
David M

Post by David M »

You may also find the lighter bullets to your liking.
I am shooting a P210 9mm with 115g and 120g SWC using a slightly slower burning powder (WSF) with good results, very good recoil and control for quick shots.
j-team

Post by j-team »

David M wrote:You may also find the lighter bullets to your liking.
I am shooting a P210 9mm with 115g and 120g SWC using a slightly slower burning powder (WSF) with good results, very good recoil and control for quick shots.
Funny that you say that, because I've found the complete opposite with regard to bullet weight but the same with regard to using slower powder. I also shoot a P210 and have found that 145-150gr bullets with AP100 to be the best load. Also works in my glock, although, the glock can't match the P210 for accuracy!
Chef247

Post by Chef247 »

I've got some 147 gr semiwadcutter loads with 3.7 gr powder that make the gun operate with light recoil.... I started with 4.7 grains, but cut back, avoided the recoil and didn't lose any accuracy
Chef247

Post by Chef247 »

Can we talk holsters? Polymer? Leather? Nylon?
Just for range carry. Polymers are inexpensive, but will they mar the finish? I'm not a big fan of the nylon as they tend to be abrasive...
David M

Post by David M »

Competition Holsters and Belts, have a look here....
http://www.crspeed.co.za/ProductInfo.as ... id=MOD2000