Bullseye Match Command Times

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

pccraig

Post by pccraig »

I have 2 single action revolvers (.22 & 45 Colt) that I'm considering using for bullseye.

The problem is they each are loaded through a single loading gate behind the cylinder.

Is there ample time after the "load" command for me to load those 5 rounds in the timed & rapid stages ?

Thanks
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

In a word, YES.

I will generally give 10 seconds or more after the command to load has been given. I will look down the line and try to make sure everyone has assumed their shooting position. Sometimes even the magazine guns have problems loading and chambering that first round :-))

If you feel rushed, just let them know. If you are not ready, please respond when the "Is the line ready?" command given. If they continue anyway, just stand easy and raise your hand after the string just like for an alibi. Someone will help sort things out as needed.

On the other hand, there are generally better choices than .45 Colt for the .45 match, but to each his own. Good luck and have fun!

Cecil
m67402

Post by m67402 »

we have a shooter at our range that shots a revolver the ranger master gives him time to reload

if not I wouldn't care to shot with these shoters

keep them in the 10 ring
jpsIII

Post by jpsIII »

I called three relays of a 600-point indoor match a couple of days ago. In a few cases people were loading just one (presumably the reliable one) magazine. All they have to do is give me a little heads up and I will give them plenty of time before "Is the firing line ready?" And...I will keep an eye out for others who fiddle with everything before they are ready. So take your time and git 'er right.
pccraig

Post by pccraig »

Thanks everyone
kle

Post by kle »

I have also considered using my Ruger Single Six and Ruger Blackhawk for Bullseye. The rules specifically state that if there are rounds in the cylinder, the gun is considered loaded, even if the cylinder is swung out of the frame (in double-action revolvers). I don't think the rules were written with single-action (loading gate) revolvers in mind, however.

My idea was to remove the cylinder, to load the cylinder with five rounds, and then on the command to "Load", I'd put the cylinder back in the frame and reinsert the base pin, putting the empty chamber under the hammer before closing the loading gate. (I'd have also made a device to pop all of the empty casings out of the chambers at once with the cylinder removed from the frame, though I never quite got around to doing that)

According to John Rickards, the guy who runs our .22 pistol league and has been a CRO at Camp Perry several times as well as some of the other local Bullseye matches, he would be OK with this (despite what the rules say above).

To echo the other replies: yes, you will be allowed enough time to load your gun before each string.
crankythunder

HEY PC!

Post by crankythunder »

Come on up to Michigan! We got a spot on the line for ya!

We will put all the righties to the right of ya, Southpaws on the other side....

So we can keep an eye on ya...........

And offer all the helpful advice you never wanted to hear!!!!!!!!

I'm sure we will come up with lotsa good tips too!

Sarcasm no extra charge! :)

Comon Up! Kant wait! Gonna be fun!

Regards,
Cranky
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

kle wrote:...I don't think the rules were written with single-action (loading gate) revolvers in mind, however.

My idea was to remove the cylinder, to load the cylinder with five rounds, and then on the command to "Load", I'd put the cylinder back in the frame and reinsert the base pin, putting the empty chamber under the hammer before closing the loading gate.
It's unnecessary to go to that much trouble to quickly load a single action if the problem you're seeking to solve is "putting the empty chamber under the hammer". I realize that it's no longer as common knowledge as it once was back when single actions were everyday work tools, but the load sequence is: load one, skip one, load four, close the gate, fully cock hammer, drop (excuse me, safely lower) hammer on empty chamber. That works every time for 6-shot single actions and seems to me to be faster and simpler than repeatedly removing and replacing cylinders.

Just a thought.
kle

Post by kle »

BenEnglishTX wrote:
kle wrote:...I don't think the rules were written with single-action (loading gate) revolvers in mind, however.

My idea was to remove the cylinder, to load the cylinder with five rounds, and then on the command to "Load", I'd put the cylinder back in the frame and reinsert the base pin, putting the empty chamber under the hammer before closing the loading gate.
It's unnecessary to go to that much trouble to quickly load a single action if the problem you're seeking to solve is "putting the empty chamber under the hammer". I realize that it's no longer as common knowledge as it once was back when single actions were everyday work tools, but the load sequence is: load one, skip one, load four, close the gate, fully cock hammer, drop (excuse me, safely lower) hammer on empty chamber. That works every time for 6-shot single actions and seems to me to be faster and simpler than repeatedly removing and replacing cylinders.

Just a thought.
Thanks; I'm aware of that technique. With Ruger (New Model) single-actions which don't have the traditional half-cock hammer, it is possible to simply load five and then spin the cylinder to put the empty chamber under the hammer before closing the loading gate. I was primarily interested in removing/replacing cylinders to a) be able to quickly "load" the gun (with a pre-loaded cylinder), and b) not holding up other shooters on the line (although I know that ROs are supposed to allow time for all shooters to load their guns). The reason for this is there is/was a local outdoor .22 Bullseye league that prohibited the use of single-action revolvers, presumably due to how much more time was required to load (and unload?) them. I wanted to explore using a single-action revolver in that league, simply to flaunt that prohibition - heh =)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Take your time. When they say, "Is the line ready?", you holler, "Not ready!"

It might be quicker if you loaded six.
kle

Post by kle »

Rover wrote:Take your time. When they say, "Is the line ready?", you holler, "Not ready!"

It might be quicker if you loaded six.
Loading six (or more) during timed/rapid is technically not prohibited anywhere in the NRA Pistol Rulebook (that I can find), but might be frowned upon given that the official command in Rule 10.7 is "WITH FIVE ROUNDS LOAD", the implication being that a shooter may load only five rounds in their gun (magazine, cylinder). The next note in 10.7...
Note: In slow fire events, which are scored after 10 shots, the command should be "10 SHOTS SLOW FIRE, 10 SHOTS IN 10 MINUTES, LOAD." (The number of rounds to be loaded by the competitor in slow fire stages will be determined by the competitor.)
...kinda corroborates the implication that the shooter is to load no more or fewer than 5 rounds for sustained-fire strings.

Edit: I suppose if I was trying to actually follow the rules, Rule 10.1.3 "Loaded Pistols" is the rule that states that a revolver is "loaded" if any rounds are in its cylinder; it makes no distinction for single action revolvers, whose cylinders are fairly easy to remove from the frame. Technically, I would not be allowed to put rounds in the cylinder before the command to "LOAD" is given even if the cylinder was removed from the frame.