electronic trainers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ldevedia

electronic trainers

Post by ldevedia »

I can say I am an experienced shooter since I have been shooting Std, Center fire and bullseye (9 mm and .45) for about ten years now. I have compited regularly in all these disciplines but with not much success. Nevertheless I love shooting so I keep doing it. Now I am commited to become a reasonable air pistol shooter. In Argentina, where I live, shooting costs are booming and air pistol is by far the most bearable on top of being a very nice discipline. Although I am a voracious reader and because of this familiar with shooting techniques (I was coached for some years also) I cannot score beyond 500 in AP. Actually, I average around 480, which is very unsatisfactory. Being now 72, I wonder if I could benefit from an electronic home trainer like Rika for example. Has anybody used it that can give me advice on this point? I shall pretiate comments on this.
David M

Post by David M »

At 72 I wouldn't bother with a electronic trainer, leave them for the kids to play with , spend your money on ammo and targets and just enjoy your shooting.
Rover

Post by Rover »

At your age I would consider specialized (for YOUR eyes) shooting glasses and obtaining a better fit with your gun.

Here's something to work with:
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Last edited by Rover on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmca

Post by rmca »

All the above and,

One of the things that most helped me when I started AP was someone telling me to "Learn to cancel shots. Every time you raise the pistol you are not obliged to shot." If something is clearing wrong, lower the gun, take a breath and try again.
Focus on your sights and try to dry fire without disturbing the sight alignment.
At practice, try to keep your shots on the black, and understand what happened when they didn't. Again... learn to cancel bad shots before they leave the barrel.
With some perseverance your groupings will start to get smaller and the scores will take care of themselves. But it takes time and effort...

And just enjoy yourself... that's what it's all about.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

ldevedia, I must apologize for some of our younger shooters. Some day they to will get old and realize that God did not write in stone that you must be a poor shooter when you age. Certainly some of us suffer from tremor diseases and others have suffered from accidental nerve damage, but if you are reasonably fit, you can become much more skilled than most of the youth. 559 is not a bad effort for someone over 70, wouldn't you say?

I have used a Rika system. I sold it when I was 60 and had to give up shooting for a while because of a car accident. It confirmed what I already knew about my shooting, and did so in just a few sessions. The rest of the time it was mostly used as a reduced distance electronic target. That use can be more economically obtained with a video camera setup. The trainer confirmed that I had a 7-ring hold. At least some of my 7's were the result of natural arc of movement. The other things the trainer confirmed was that my trigger control needed improvement and that I had developed a bad habit of looking over my sights. I already knew those things, but it was nice to have it confirmed. You should take a chance to use someone's trainer if it comes along. I do not think that you will get enough use out of it to justify the cost. Even the world class shooters do not use them every session. I was shooting 540's with a 7-ring hold. When your shot plan comes together, your subconscious will overcome much of your wild hold.

Welcome to the challenge of air pistol. Only free pistol is harder, so you have chosen a tough sport to master.

Larry
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I too wouldn't bother with an electronic trainer. They are a great tool but need to be interpreted carefully. They also don't tell you how to rectify any errors you may become aware of. You may find benefit in finding a coach, yes even at your age, to have a look at your position and give you some pointers.

Most importantly though enjoy your shooting !

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey Larry,

Don't apologize for me, you old fart! I'll be 71 this year and shot a 559 at the Desert Midwinter and consider it marginal.

The advice I offered came the hard way.

BTW I came in 4th behind Zurek's 575 and a pair of 568s. Not bad company.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

"You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing."

Great job Rover!
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Rover does prove however you get grumpier with age.
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's the joy of being a curmudgeon!
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Congrats Rover! You beat me by 10 years, but at the same time you encourage me to continue! Well done 'old grump' :-))
Regards,
Guy