Describe the Morini and Steyr triggers and differences

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Describe the Morini and Steyr triggers and differences

Post by Houngan »

Yes, yes, I know I'm supposed to "try them out" but as a left-handed shooter in an area that has nearly zero matches it is quite literally winning the Pick 3 to actually have either of these guns show up with a lefty grip, much less both together for comparison.

So, if you could, a brief description of the feel and primary difference between the triggers would be of great help to me in deciding whether I want to jump $800 for the Steyr or not. My hands seem to fit normal grips well, I haven't altered the Rinks I put on my IZH at all. I do think I might like a little bit of cant to the grip, though, elbow surgery has left me unable to hyperextend like some do, and a more "gangsta" style grip might be a good thing.

What I don't like about the IZH trigger:

No discernible second stage. When I set up the gun with two stages, the second stage is lost in the weight of the first stage.

A bit too far forward, can't be tilted to the left. I put on the upgraded Venturi trigger and while that helps a bit, I still feel like a direct lean to the left would help me get a proper straight-back pull.

Mushy. I can feel the springs and material moving against each other, rather than just clean weight.

Obviously all three guns are plenty accurate, but I do feel there's something to be had beyond the IZH trigger ability, and perhaps in the grip adjustment realm as well. Also, there's really not as much price difference considering I would likely be stuck with paying for a new Right grip for the Morini and electronics if I wanted to sell.

I don't suppose Scott would ship both and let me ship the one I don't like back?
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

I started shooting with Izzy and i didn't find the trigger so bad.

Related to your question:
Imho Steyr mechanical trigger isn't good, if you tune up to have little second stage, trigger always kick forward.
Steyr Electronic it's different with or without charging the cocking lever. you cannot just click multiple time as morini electronic, because in Steyr the feeling change if you cock the lever or not. And the feeling with lever cocked (as live fire) is not as good as just click.

Morini Electronic imho is the best one.
j-team

Post by j-team »

LukeP wrote:Imho Steyr mechanical trigger isn't good, if you tune up to have little second stage, trigger always kick forward.
If your Steyr trigger is kicking forward the sear engagement is incorrectly adjusted.
rmca

Post by rmca »

j-team wrote:
LukeP wrote:Imho Steyr mechanical trigger isn't good, if you tune up to have little second stage, trigger always kick forward.
If your Steyr trigger is kicking forward the sear engagement is incorrectly adjusted.
It's the screw that has a red glue/paint and that the manual says do not adjust!
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Yeah, but without adjusting the trigger have a bad feeling.
the problem is well explained by many post in the past, you cannot have a really short second stage or the trigger kick forward, do you think it's a good regulation?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Comparing a morini electronic to a steyr manual is like comparing apples to pears. If you like apples then that one is better, if you like pears then the other is better. Most electronic triggers I've tried have no feel, including the morini. I shoot and prefer the steyr manual trigger (mine has been converted to the ball bearing).

Reading your post again you seem to be looking at buying a gun based on what others say about the trigger. There's a lot more to a gun than it's trigger so you need to at least pick them up and see what they feel like.

Rob.
rmca

Post by rmca »

LukeP wrote:Yeah, but without adjusting the trigger have a bad feeling.
the problem is well explained by many post in the past, you cannot have a really short second stage or the trigger kick forward, do you think it's a good regulation?
I still don't understand what you mean with a really short second stage.
You have no adjustment to the length of the second stage.
You have:

One trigger stop adjustment screw
First stage course adjustment screw
First stage weight adjustment screw
Second stage weight adjustment screw
And sear engagement adjustment screw (the one with the red paint)

The sear engagement will not give you a second stage length adjustment, it will only add creep.
With the sear adjustment correctly set, you pull the first stage, fell the stop, apply a little more force, and when the trigger moves again the shoot breaks.
You shouldn't fell any kick back...
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

RobStubbs wrote:Comparing a morini electronic to a steyr manual is like comparing apples to pears. If you like apples then that one is better, if you like pears then the other is better. Most electronic triggers I've tried have no feel, including the morini. I shoot and prefer the steyr manual trigger (mine has been converted to the ball bearing).

Reading your post again you seem to be looking at buying a gun based on what others say about the trigger. There's a lot more to a gun than it's trigger so you need to at least pick them up and see what they feel like.

Rob.
I was actually thinking about the electronic in both, since I don't really have a hard preference I think I could go to the E and learn it on either platform.

If you could just let me know where a left-handed shooter will be that will have one of these guns and is willing to let me try it, I'll be right there. I'm not, however, holding my breath.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

rmca wrote: And sear engagement adjustment screw (the one with the red paint)

The sear engagement will not give you a second stage length adjustment, it will only add creep.
With the sear adjustment correctly set, you pull the first stage, fell the stop, apply a little more force, and when the trigger moves again the shoot breaks.
You shouldn't fell any kick back...
If you want something near no creep you cannot do it whitout having the trigger kick back, you must accept a little amount of creep to have no kick back. it's well explained in many past post, search on the board.
rmca

Post by rmca »

And I've read those posts... But I have zero creep on mine and no kick back...
Perhaps it left the factory correctly adjusted and I didn't had the need to thinker with it.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Getting back to the original question, I think this is the best answer...
RobStubbs wrote:Comparing a morini electronic to a steyr manual is like comparing apples to pears. If you like apples then that one is better, if you like pears then the other is better. Most electronic triggers I've tried have no feel, including the morini. I shoot and prefer the steyr manual trigger (mine has been converted to the ball bearing).

Rob.
You don't have to get a left grip gun just to feel the trigger... you can sort of get an idea with a right grip.

The main advantage of the steyr over the morini is the adjustable grip.

Other than that the are both great guns.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

rmca wrote:Getting back to the original question, I think this is the best answer...

Rob.
You don't have to get a left grip gun just to feel the trigger... you can sort of get an idea with a right grip.

The main advantage of the steyr over the morini is the adjustable grip.

Other than that the are both great guns.
You kinda do, though. Put a credit card in your palm, then take a grip around the credit card and see if you can really feel the trigger. The answer for left-handed people is always "just suck it up and deal with it" but it doesn't mean it's correct.

What I'm getting is that the difference between electronic and non-electronic is significantly higher than the difference between Steyr and Morini electronics, so it's a non-issue for me since I'm not married to one or the other yet. I do have to wonder why the Steyr dominates at the top level, but there are plenty of threads with speculation on that.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

because it's the hand that hold the pistol that make always the difference.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Houngan wrote: "just suck it up and deal with it" but it doesn't mean it's correct.
That was not what I meant...
Of course to have a real feel for the gun you must hold it and shoot it.
But since you have no one near you that has a left grip the NEXT BEST THING, is to try the trigger movement alone. Even without the grip.
And by doing that you at least have some idea of how it will feel when you finally get one. For me it is far better than going with someone else's word.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Is the difference between the two electronic triggers so great that it would be evident while holding a wrong-gripped gun? That's the sort of information I was soliciting in the original post.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Houngan wrote: I do have to wonder why the Steyr dominates at the top level,
Because the Steyr has has better sights, better grip (with more adjustability), sits lower in the hand, has less muzzle flip and has a higher build quality than the Morini. The only thing the Morini has is a good electronic trigger.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

j-team wrote:
Houngan wrote: I do have to wonder why the Steyr dominates at the top level,
Because the Steyr has has better sights, better grip (with more adjustability), sits lower in the hand, has less muzzle flip and has a higher build quality than the Morini. The only thing the Morini has is a good electronic trigger.
Awesome, thank you for that information.
taz

Post by taz »

I have not tried the Morini but I will have to disagree with LukeP.
To me the LP10E has the same trigger feel whether you are dry shooting having cocked the pistol or not or live shooting.
Whether you like the way it feels is another matter.
Personally I like the fact that electronic triggers do not need to have a stop set close to the firing point. You just pull and when the shot fires the trigger does not change its weight. That and the fact that they don't have that breaking glass feel that many other shooters prefer.
Then again, I have always prefered the feel of electronic triggers ever since I tried my first one 20 years ago...
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

In my club 3 out of 3 Steyr, right out the factory box had a discernable different feeling if you just click the electronic, or if you load the cocking lever. Ruig if i remember well as an LP10E compact maybe could give an opinion.
maybe it's just randomly.
taz

Post by taz »

It cannot be different since the electronic trigger is a separate module and is attached to the rest of the pistol with an electric connector so is not affected by the state of other mechanical parts.
What you are experiencing is the difference in feel caused by the movement of the other parts when the lever is cocked (movement of the hammer etc) but the feel of the trigger is the same.
So in my opinion, yes it does feel different dry shooting, dry shooting having cocked the lever and live shooting but all this is not due to the trigger.