Shooting organizations against advanced students

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Walther101

Shooting organizations against advanced students

Post by Walther101 »

CMP
I started shooting later than most, in my junior year of HS (I was only 16 because I skipped a grade). Then graduated from HS at 17 and was no longer able to compete in CMP junior matches but others that had to repeat a grade get to compete till their 19.

NRA/USA Shooting
I whet at a 4 year university at 17 and completed my undergrad in 3yrs even though I only competed in the NRA Collegiate sectionals twice I am no longer eligible. Because I graduated early and the NRA specifically states that you must be an undergrad, even though I an in grad school.

I do like how USA Shooting has there Junior Olympic eligibility based on age and not education standing. I know some kids/parents that would hold themselves/kids back in order to let them shoot another year to shoot at the junior or collegiate levels. The organizations in charge of these programs should rethink their policies.

Thank you for your time:
Walther101

Post by Guest »

It looks like USAS is the one shooting organization that understands that "elite" can mean a good thing!
Abi

Post by Abi »

I see your point, but on the flip side...I started shooting after I turned 21 and I started college late as well. I completely missed all opportunities to shoot in junior matches, which tends to include most of the smallbore 3-P and air rifle matches around. However, I was eligible to compete in the NRA Collegiate Sectionals and National Club Championships because they did not have an age limit. Apples and oranges, nothing's perfect.
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Abi,

I am not saying to put age limits on everything. I think the NRA should allow grad student the opportunity to compete if they have not exceeded the 5yr maximum.

Walther101
justadude

Post by justadude »

Walther,

Organized inter-collegiate athletics for all sports are not open to Graduate Students, this is not just shooting. (Note I am not talking about the intramural clubs.) You do not have graduates playing football, basketball, baseball etc.

In general undergrads are looked at as being in school to gain a whole breadth of experiences, athletics being one of them. If you are there for your graduate degree(s) it is expected you are doing one thing... studying for that degree.

While I see your point, you will not likely make much progress until you figure out how to change the entire college athletic system.

'Dude
ncaainfo

Post by ncaainfo »

justadude.....wrong, sorry not knocking you just making sure people have the correct info in case it impacts them.

Graduate students can compete in NCAA college sports. You have 4 years of eligibility to compete within a 5 year clock once you start full time college. If someone graduates in 3 years, they can shoot in their 4th year of eligibility being in Graduate school, happens in rifle and most other NCAA sports, even football.....occasionally!

Someone could even redshirt their first year in college (year 1 of the 5 year clock) and then from years 2-5 use their 4 years of eligibility and be in Grad school for the last year or even 2 years if undergrad was completed in 3 years.

The NRA or CMP, they operate in different ways....
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In regards to the Intercollegiate Sectionals ... from the match program:
Eligibility: NRA Rule 2.8 applies. Intercollegiate Sectional matches are open to individuals and teams whose members represent any one college, junior college or university affiliated with the NRA, provided each member is eligible for participation in intercollegiate competition under the rules of the institution.
Thus when you read rule 2.8:
Regularly enrolled undergraduate students who carry 12 or more semester hours or the equivalent in an accredited two or four-year collegiate level institution and who have not received a Bachelor’s Degree. Eligibility to compete as a collegian shall extend for a maximum of four years within a five-year period beginning when a student first attends any class as a full-time (12 or more credit hours) student. The five-year period may only be interrupted by extended military service. (60 consecutive days or more), service with a recognized foreign aid agency of the U.S. Government or certified missionary service.
Walter101 was not eligible for the sectionals due to the fact she received her Bachelor's early.

I personally would like to see rule 2.8 changes to let them fire 4 years within the 5 after they start their undergrad studies.
justadude

Post by justadude »

ncaainfo

OK, you got me, after you point it out I vaguely remember that you could participate as a Graduate so long as you were still in the 4 in 5 rule. It is a rare occurrence.

Academically I have often worked with students who were typically taking 5 years to earn the bachelors.

Depending on who is paying for it, (the student or the department) advisers can take a dim view of their graduate students spending too much time on non-academic pursuits. But that is between the student and their adviser.

Cheers,
'Dude
ncaainfo

Post by ncaainfo »

Dude - no problem, and yes it is an unusual instance of course! You are correct many students take 5 years for their bachelors and especially those on sports team with tough majors, the class load is simply too much. The kids that come into college with a bunch of college credit from high school are often the ones that can finish early, or by taking summer classes each summer.

Also, yes those on Graduate Assistantships will have an additional committment for work and the advisors may not be happy but typically the Grad students on teams will still be on scholarship and thus while competing should not have to work. The full time class load for a Grad student is also 9 hrs rather than 12 hrs for undergrads.
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

I know a lot of shooters/other athletes that graduate in 3-4yrs with their undergrad and either go to grad school at their current school or transfer to another school with their sport and grad program to finish their NCAA eligibility.

I shot for 3ys on a top 20 NCAA team and only shot sectionals 3 times. If I would have stayed at the school where I got my undergrad I would have been able to shoot NCAA sectionals, but I wanted to major in a very specific field so I am currently at a school that does not offer Rifle.

I currently have a GA and an internship with 10 hr of graduate courses. I only get to practice 1-2 times a week if I am lucky, but would have liked the opportunity to compete. If my scores would have counted I would have finished 3rd in this year's sectionals and might have gotten an invite to club nationals.

Walther101
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Happens all the time in colleges. You get a track scholarship. They redshirt you in cross country your first year, but you start track and field your first year. You start cross country your second year and your 4 year scholarship runs 5 years into your first year of grad studies. Neat eh!
Chris