Cheap electronic target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Cheap electronic target

Post by K38 »

Have they come out with a cheap electronic target that you can just plug into your laptop or iPad? Seems like about time. Then again I may be missing the point.

Thanks,

Dwight
RobStubbs

Re: Cheap electronic target

Post by RobStubbs »

K38 wrote:Have they come out with a cheap electronic target that you can just plug into your laptop or iPad? Seems like about time. Then again I may be missing the point.

Thanks,

Dwight
Depend what you call cheap...

There are models that you can do just that with (computer at least). But as mentioned they are still many hundreds of pounds / dollars.

Rob.
Cobbslane

Post by Cobbslane »

Certainly no need to spend hundreds of dollars IF your interest is being able to see your scores as you make them. If you want a true electronic scoring system at decimal scoring accuracy levels then you are really paying for very high tech measurements which will never be that cheap given the relatively low demand for the manufacturers.
If it is a simple 'viewing system' from the firing point that you want then cheapest way is to rig up a bluetooth (best) or wired webcam positioned close to the target, to your laptop positioned alongside you at the firing point. You will not be able to score decimal level but you will be able to observe shots with good accuracy. Cost $30 in your money so long as you don't shoot the camera!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Cobbslane wrote:Certainly no need to spend hundreds of dollars IF your interest is being able to see your scores as you make them. If you want a true electronic scoring system at decimal scoring accuracy levels then you are really paying for very high tech measurements which will never be that cheap given the relatively low demand for the manufacturers.
If it is a simple 'viewing system' from the firing point that you want then cheapest way is to rig up a bluetooth (best) or wired webcam positioned close to the target, to your laptop positioned alongside you at the firing point. You will not be able to score decimal level but you will be able to observe shots with good accuracy. Cost $30 in your money so long as you don't shoot the camera!
There's tons of cheaper options if the OP only wanted to see where his shots went, however he asked for electronic targets and not viewing options.

Rob.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Cobbslane wrote: If it is a simple 'viewing system' from the firing point that you want then cheapest way is to rig up a bluetooth (best) or wired webcam positioned close to the target, to your laptop positioned alongside you at the firing point. You will not be able to score decimal level but you will be able to observe shots with good accuracy. Cost $30 in your money so long as you don't shoot the camera!
Would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of one of those $30 Bluetooth webcams.

Thanks.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tank wrote:
Cobbslane wrote: If it is a simple 'viewing system' from the firing point that you want then cheapest way is to rig up a bluetooth (best) or wired webcam positioned close to the target, to your laptop positioned alongside you at the firing point. You will not be able to score decimal level but you will be able to observe shots with good accuracy. Cost $30 in your money so long as you don't shoot the camera!
Would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of one of those $30 Bluetooth webcams.
I would have thought that 10m would be pushing Bluetooth, especially on cheap devices, right to its range limit.

It would certainly be worth giving it a try at that price though.
Cobbslane

Post by Cobbslane »

Here is a link to the sort of software you will need to link a pc to a bluetooth or Ip camera:
http://www.deskshare.com/ip-camera-viewer.aspx
Tons of similar freeware on net - just google for more options.

Here is the sort of IP camera that can be used from the EBay - item number 181081495408 is a US $37 based example. Just search for 'wireless IP camera' and take your pick. They do come cheaper if it is not 'buy it now'.

I use a wired webcam (Logitec, similar to ebay item 300697729809 which is less than 10$) to USB port of laptop because that's what was lying around. Focus can be an issue depending on how close you wish it to be placed. Mine is about 5" from target so I only view the black of a standard 10m pistol target. Shots are instantly displayed on screen and linecutters are easily seen. As I said previously you cannot decimal score but standard scoring is not an issue. Great for 'feeling' the shots and learnig to call them whilst the feel is fresh in the mind. Wireless webcams can allow remote focussing and pan/tilt that may be useful and you will not need the $5 15m USB cable which I simply plug in when setting up and before booting the laptop. Total cost in US looks like $15 ! In UK probably £15.

Depending on your skill and where it is placed you might wish to give it some protection from the odd flyer of course.

Hope that helps
Gerry
Tank

Post by Tank »

Ahhh! Thought I could go all Hi-Tec on the range - No, none of this will work on the club range. Might as well just stick my iPhone onto the spotting scope to be honest. Though I do have one of these IP cameras in the storage shed and I might do something with it on my home range.
A self contained bluetooth webcam would have been good.
K38

Post by K38 »

I like the idea of using a web cam. I could just plug it into my chrome Book and go . But where do I get a 10 meter or 20 yard USB cable? I guess the bluetooth camera is the way to go. I could use it in my back yard Archery/Crossbow range too. I could just put it on a really cheap tripod. Can you adapt from USB to something cheap? and then back to USB? My soldering ain't what it used to be.

Thanks Everybody,

Dwight
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

K38 wrote:I guess the bluetooth camera is the way to go.
I still haven't seen a reasonably priced Bluetooth camera, especially one that will work over 10m.

You will probably have more luck finding a WiFi camera than a Bluetooth one. They are extremely common.
dronning

Re: Cheap electronic target

Post by dronning »

K38 wrote:Have they come out with a cheap electronic target that you can just plug into your laptop or iPad? Seems like about time. Then again I may be missing the point.

Thanks,

Dwight
Cheapest electronic target would be a SCATT trainer at about $1,000.

Camera options are many I just ordered one of these for my highpower shooting it's wireless and has a range up to 1,000 yards http://www.bullseyecamera.com/ $450-$550

As suggested a wired or or wifi camera would work at a shorter range. $50-$150 The cheaper ones the quality may not be good enough.
arian_pupo

Post by arian_pupo »

I used two laptops and a yahoo messenger video call between them, I can see cristal clear my target from any distance. Also, I can share my shoots in real time with other contacts in a chat room. If anyone has a question or wants to share an air pistol training in a chat room let me know. arian_pupo@yahoo.com
Attachments
IMG_20130217_130737.jpg
IMG_20130217_130737.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
IMG_20130217_131924.jpg