10 m air rifle vs field target rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Red-feather

10 m air rifle vs field target rifle

Post by Red-feather »

Been looking at ALOT of different air guns (both rifle and pistol).....soooo it looks to me that 10m match shooters are somewhere around the 400-600fps range with only a few fpe....
The field target are much higher.....
I understand it doesnt take a whole lot of energy to punch a hole in paper...and you need more velocity wich equals more energy to tip plates...( both rifles tested in a mechanical ransom type rest, with no human error)....
Now for the big Q .....
With a field target rifle, at 10m, is there a significant accuracy difference shooting a higher velocity than the lower velocity of a dedicated 10m rifle...?
And is there such a rifle that can be tuned for both...?
Maybe I'm trying to learn way too much too fast here as I cant even find a used 10m pistol yet....
The whole air gun thing has kind of obsessed me here lately...sorry to babble on .....
Red-feather~~~
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

Here is a question that was asked of me by Gary Barnes when I talked to him about one of his air rifles when I first started out. "What do you want to do with this air rifle?" When you can answer that question, you will know which one to get. You will likely end up with more than one airgun.

Until then read all you can about airguns. Check out Pyramyd Air's blog. Read through Target Talk. Check out other forums and reviews.

By the way, I did not buy one of Gary's air rifles.
Red-feather

I would really like to do both 10m/field target

Post by Red-feather »

Was hoping to get a field target rifle with the higher energy and be able to tone the velocity down to maybe 580-600fps to shoot at 10m.
Maybe the guns dont have a velocity range as such...?[/img]
RobStubbs

Re: I would really like to do both 10m/field target

Post by RobStubbs »

Red-feather wrote:Was hoping to get a field target rifle with the higher energy and be able to tone the velocity down to maybe 580-600fps to shoot at 10m.
Maybe the guns dont have a velocity range as such...?[/img]
You can shoot the same gun at 10M without doing anything as long as safety isn't compromised i.e. it doesn't ricochet (and the club allow it). We allow them in my predominantly target shooting based airgun club.

Rob.
yana

Post by yana »

Many FT guns are based on 10m guns, so you usually can just put a 7.5J reg in it to convert for 10m.
Besides that, a FT guns need to be versatile stance wise, its used for stading, kneeling, FTposition etc. Whereas the 10m rifle is for standing mostly, or has specials for the rested versios. So I dó wonder wether the ergo, balance etc is the same. Also, a FT gun does not have open sights, nor provisions for any open front sight. Its stock probably doesnt have a belt possibility either.

PS There should nót be any speedlimit in the ISSFrules for 10m so as long as the pellet trap can take it, you can shoot 10m with a standard 12Ftp rifle. It ony makes more noise, and you'll have less shots and a tad more recoil