Ammunition Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Tanktrek

Ammunition Question

Post by Tanktrek »

Has anyone had any problems recently using SK Special Pistol Match. I have used SK Standard .22 LR for years without any problems in both my Ruger MK II and my HS Victor. But I recently switched to SK Special Pistol Match and had nothing but problems. Some of the ammo feeds just fine and others stick in the chamber and have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Recently the stuck case cause my extractor to break on the HS Victor. So I had to switch to the Ruger, which worked fine the week before for a 900 Point indoor match, until last night the Timed and rapid fire strings. First shot fired but would not extract. Repeated this same thing for 5 Re-fires. Finally gave up and sat-out the rest of the match.

Other than that the ammo is very accurate. Lot #063-47/1 084 2

Ron
TCNTN

Post by TCNTN »

I am interested in seeing some responses. I am out of 22LR and found some of this SK ammo. I am about to make a purchase and want to see if this experience was shared by anyone else.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

You may be having difficulty with the "special" since it is lower in velocity thet the standard ammo.
Isabel1130

Re: Ammunition Question

Post by Isabel1130 »

Tanktrek wrote:Has anyone had any problems recently using SK Special Pistol Match. I have used SK Standard .22 LR for years without any problems in both my Ruger MK II and my HS Victor. But I recently switched to SK Special Pistol Match and had nothing but problems. Some of the ammo feeds just fine and others stick in the chamber and have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Recently the stuck case cause my extractor to break on the HS Victor. So I had to switch to the Ruger, which worked fine the week before for a 900 Point indoor match, until last night the Timed and rapid fire strings. First shot fired but would not extract. Repeated this same thing for 5 Re-fires. Finally gave up and sat-out the rest of the match.

Other than that the ammo is very accurate. Lot #063-47/1 084 2

Ron
So I am assuming you have gone back to the old ammo, and the gun has functioned without problems, which means that you have eliminated a change in the gun as the source of the problems? The reason I ask is because the dimensions on SK Special Pistol match should be the same as regular SK. If a case is so stuck it caused the extractor to break, the problem I would look for is a broken firing pin, driving the edge of the case into the top or side of the chamber and peening it. It makes cases very difficult to extract. Either that, or you have built up a lead ring inside the chamber which the brass is getting stuck on.

As this has happened with two different guns, it may be the velocity issue, but I still am not sure that is the entire issue. I have had ammo picky guns, go the other way, extracting,slower velocity rounds just fine, and then choking on higher velocity ammo.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

One more question, was it cool or cold during the most recent match where you had the functioning problems?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

First i would clean the chamber very good, the sk special pistol match is not slower but is faster than the regular pistol match, but you might find its just the gun, some guns like it some dont, a solution might be to spray the cases with a light case lube otherwise get different ammo its not worth using if it doesn't function 100% in my book
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

http://www.lapua-gmbh.de/naviEN.html

The Lapua website lists the SK Pistol Match Special at 1,131 fps, so it's a bit hotter than CCI SV @ 1,070 fps & SK Standard Plus @ 1,040 fps or Wolf MT @ 1,040 fps just for some comparisons.
Tanktrek

Ammunition Question

Post by Tanktrek »

I have gone back to using CCI Standard Velocity Ammo. It is not the best, but at least the HS feeds and functions with it.

The conditions were indoor range, temperiture about 60 degrees.

Thanks for the input. Since the High Standard does not have a feed ramp the CCI loads and ejects just fine.
I am now using my orginal magazines that were maded for the pistol. This High Standard was manufactured in E. Hartford, Conn.
Another problem was cheap magazines manufactured by the Texas High Standard pistol manufacturer.

Ron
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The CCI SV is slower than most SV ammo but the recoil seems sharper from I would guess faster powder and that makes it operate better in some guns. It is probably the most trusted SV ammo there is for no alibis.