Anyone use an HP Sight?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sureshot007

Anyone use an HP Sight?

Post by sureshot007 »

Anyone here have an HP Sight? I'm curious about them and looking for feedback.

http://hpsight.com/
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Not aware that he has sold any. He has priced them too high, you can find a real Sam Gates for less then HP charges. Also rumor is Bowers is feeling better and is finishing a batch of real Gates and he charges less than HP.

I'm sure the HP sight works just fine, I also hope he has learned to finish them better, the first photos we saw years ago the finish was pretty rough.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

Who is "Bowers" and how would I find him?
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

John Bowers is the man who blued Sam Gate's sights for a long, long time. When Sam knew he was getting on in years and figured he had better pass the sight business on to someone else Bowers was the natural choice. Sam made the sights personally up to a certain serial number, then Bowers made them under Sam's supervision for a certain block of serial numbers. Sam was very happy with the way Bowers made his sight so he just let go so over a certain serial number are the Bowers Gates. I have 1 Sam and 1 Bowers and you really can't tell them apart.

Let me try and find Bowers contact info and see if he is indeed feeling better and making sights.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

I have seen Dan Hunts HP sights in person, they are very nice. Don't know if they are worth 400. I bought my Gates from a good friend for $300 I think.

Doug K.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

I love my Gates sights. If Bowers is making more, I am going to get at least 1 or 2 more.
Ken
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

Roadthing wrote:I have seen Dan Hunts HP sights in person, they are very nice. Don't know if they are worth 400. I bought my Gates from a good friend for $300 I think.

Doug K.
I feel like $400 is a lot, but when an old used sight for $300 is a good deal, a brand new one of equal quality @ $400 doesn't seem too unreasonable. Especially in a time where Warner is charging almost $600 for his sight. If you showed me where I could get my hands on a Gates for $300, I'd be all over that!
gwsb

Sam Gates

Post by gwsb »

I am pretty sure I paid Sam over $300 for my sights. $400 seems reasonable if they are the same quality Sam made.

What are the serial numbers made by Bowers?

I dont know of anyone who would turn loose of a Sam Gates sight for $300. They are the best sights ever made for smallbore.
1813benny

Re: Sam Gates

Post by 1813benny »

gwsb wrote:
I dont know of anyone who would turn loose of a Sam Gates sight for $300. They are the best sights ever made for smallbore.
He did say it was a good friend! ;-)