New stock problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pratt2208

New stock problems

Post by pratt2208 »

Friday i am going to switch stocks from a 1813 to 1918 i was wondering what kind of problems i will run into with my positions and what changes am i going to run into
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

PM Sent
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I fubared that,

The short answer is yes and no, it depends on how you go about this.

The first method I have heard of and no longer agree with is to take your new rifle stock and make it resemble your current stock as closely as possible. It sounds simple enough, but the the other method, that I will discuss in a moment, takes more advantage of your new free rifle adjustments.

Keep in mind that using a new rifle stock will take some time getting use too, I too am undergoing a similar change currently changing from an old wooden stock to a new FWB aluminum. Don't be surprised if the first 3-4 weeks you see worse scores.

When I get to my computer I will include the instructions that have speed my adjustment process.

Hope this is a helpful start, others will chime in.

Good shooting,
Cameron
pratt2208

Post by pratt2208 »

I am not worried to much about scores i shoot in a four position league with 5 shots in each position and the next big match is in march. Every year at our league invitational match i shoot some one elses rifle just for fun and always shoot good but i have never shot an aluminum stock both ones i have shot were 1913s one had a 2 stage trigger the other an extremely light single stage. i also never recieved a pm.
Jason
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

That's because I fubared on the PM,

And you are right, you shouldn't be worried about scores, yet some people do, its only human to be competitive. Once you get the rifle expect the improvement to take some time.

Question what's your reading list?
Air rifle shooting
Rifle: Steps to success
MEC: Ways of the rifle

Those are all great books, defiantly worth your time and money.

What's your current ability and where would you like to take it?

Age, weight, and build?
pratt2208

Post by pratt2208 »

I have ways of the rifle. Currently only shoot NRA competitions so i use a scope mainly because of lack of time to properly train with irons. My most current scores in convetional 4p are 792, 791,& 789 looking to break the 795 mark my goal is an 800. I am 23 have been shooting for 5 years now. I am 5'9" and weigh 215 so i would say a husky build. If i missed any thing let me know. Forgot to mention that the reason i bought the stock is because of my are length. I have been fighting to find a position in prone that doesnt fatigue my arms due to the stretching to reach the chamber. When i load every shot i either have to unshoulder th rilfe which i dont like to do in prone or almost hyperextend my right arm in orderto properly load. My arm length is about a 21" arm length from shoulder to the web between my thumb and forefinger. Also i use a size med glove so the wide wood stock would make my left hand extremely red and ache. i have tried everything to cure that from shooting a looser sling, moving the hand stop back and even shooting with a 30 degree cant but i could never seem to get rid of that either
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

For the loading of the rifle I think you should try a new technique, when I was having troubles, with this same issue it was suggested to me that I "as a right handed shooter" lean to my right to load the rifle, then you will not have to lift your right arm to load the rifle, this brings the chamber of the rifle closer to your arm. It took me some time to get use to this but after a few weeks it became natural for me and has made my shooting much more consistent, it does disturb your NPA, but not as much as lifting your right arm or removing the stock from your shoulder.

As for the rest of your position, have a friend take some good photos and perhaps the more experienced shooters can chip in. I suggest taking before and after with both stocks. It sounds like your on the right track with a more slim stock.

Best of shooting,
Cameron
pratt2208

Post by pratt2208 »

Thank you wont have the opportunity to take before and after photos but will try to get someone to look at me in position if i dont feel right
Thanks again for the advice
Jason