Training at 100y or 50m or 50' foot

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

At what distance do you perforn the majority of your smallbore shooting?

100 Yards
18%
50 Yards or Meters
39%
50 Foot
33%
Other
9%

Total votes: 33

Thedrifter

Training at 100y or 50m or 50' foot

Post by Thedrifter »

Hello all,

I've been curious the last couple of days and could not find much information on this topic so I thought I would ask and see.

I've noticed that the majority of points and X's dropped in matches have been at 100yards, so recently I have been focusing at 100 yards on the A33 target. Scores have been from 186 to 192 avg in the 189-190 zone. Here in California I feel that I have an advantage, my shooting conditions for the larger part of the year are excellent for shooting. It's all ways windy So using my time to shoot more at 100 vs shooting at 50 seems like a good idea to me. This way I feel like I get the best training for conditions.

My question is this:
At what distance is the majority of everyone else shooting for training, and is it better to focus at the 100 yard targets, problem area or not?

Just trying to start a good topic for training distances, any input is welcone.

Thanks guys,
Cameron
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

I think 50 feet is in the lead simply because of the number of 50 foot indoor ranges, which can be accessed basically 24/7. Outdoor ranges have light and weather considerations.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

That's what I thought,

I don't know why I included 50'foot. I should have specified outdoor training, and its true when you get to the central states you have winter conditions that make this shooting less tolerable. I use to live in Kansas so I have experience how these conditions are.

Any input to a favorite distance to shoot? Or debate what distance is better practice?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Thedrifter wrote:I don't know why I included 50'foot. I should have specified outdoor training, and its true when you get to the central states you have winter conditions that make this shooting less tolerable. I use to live in Kansas so I have experience how these conditions are.
Less tolerable? Heading out in 15 minutes for our indoor range. 1st time in 3 weeks that the temp has been above zero on Sat morning (and that's °F).
Would not have a program unless I could get the kids out of the elements from Nov thru April. (And we're in New Mexico!)
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

10 meter air.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Percentage wise, I have fired the most shots at 50 Meters. But Now, it is all 50 Ft.
Matt
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

It's almost all 100 yards for me. My home range here in San Diego has a serious downhill slope from the firing points to the 50 yard line, so much so that the extra crunch on my support hand is pretty uncomfortable. The 100 yard line is still downhill, but less so, so I fire most of my shots there.
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

I think you just train for whatever event you're going to compete in, unless you're stuck indoors for the season. Training at 100y won't necessarily make you better at half the distance especially when there's wind. I think the wind makes shooting any distance very unique.

I'm shooting at 50ft because my 50m range is an hour away and it's cold and drizzly, so I'm imagining that ill be rusty come spring at 50m. Never realized how good I had it down in SoCal until I moved north!
DesertShooter

Post by DesertShooter »

I'm pretty lucky my home range has a 50 foot indoor range, and an outside range that goes out a pretty good distance. When I'm practicing prone I spend most of my time outside at 50 yards. I practice at 100 yards the least amount, but I shoot my highest scores at 100 yards. When I'm practicing for position matches I spend most of my time inside at 50 foot.