Grunig Racer Review

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

Grunig Racer Review

Post by tenring »

Is anyone interested in reading a detailed review. I know there are not many here in the States so not many have gotten to see one in real person. Might be as close as some of us get???

Tenring
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

Would love to see a review.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Me too
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

I'll write one at the earliest opportunity.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Awesome! Look forward to it!

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

Bump?
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

It's in the works!
kevin nevius

Racer review................

Post by kevin nevius »

All:

I thought I would add my comments / review of the new Racer and EVO III stock with regard to prone use (that’s all I shoot, sorry!)

Technical (action)

This rifle was on my “bucket list”, the real miracle was talking my wife into the purchase! LOL. The action is amazing – probably far more complex than it needs to be (but that’s part of what makes it so cool!). As most of you know, it utilizes three locking lugs near the cartridge face for lockup. It has a 6 o’clock firing pin position, and has a loading ramp that “folds” down when the bolt is cycled. All of the parts utilize a frictionless coating that is amazing – lubrication is basically not needed, and cleaning it is effortless. I have cycled approx 10,000 rounds thru the action, and the coated parts (even the lugs) show no visible wear at all (not even under magnification). The action utilizes several “O” rings at the chamber, and just forward of the threaded lockup to deaden vibration. The current barrel on my rifle is the original Shilen Ratchet – I am waiting for spring to test several others I have recently turned. I have extensive experience with several other smallbore actions / triggers, and can tell you without question that the G&E trigger assembly is the finest I have ever used. The Anschutz 5018 (especially) tends to lose the first stage should you try to run it light with minimal sear engagement (which is how I like to setup a trigger). If you take up the first stage and decide not to shoot, the sear will “hang” and not return (which drives me crazy). I also use a Walther KK300 which has an amazing trigger – but the G&E (because of its mechanical layout) will adjust lighter, with absolutely no creep – this is an amazing trigger. I conduct a tremendous amount of testing every year, and cannot quantify the improvements some of these features offer (some, such as the 6 o’clock firing pin have been extensively debated on other forums) – all I can say is that the G&E system shoots, very very well. It took several months last fall to wring it out, and develop “sweet spots” for the system – but it responds very well and is as good as any I have used.

Technical (tube)

I did not like the G&E extension tube as delivered. The tube utilizes three very small aluminum lugs to lock into the extension collar which (because aluminum is so soft) tend to show signs of deforming with the lightest of tension. The first thing I did, was counterbore the collar, thread it and install a new (longer) extension tube. G&E also provides a clamping front sight base – which I use as adjustable mass for tuning. I use a micrometer to measure the distance from the front “datum” face to the collar, and reposition it in .005” increments while group shooting @ 50 meters. Sweet spots are documented, and retested for consistency (to avoid false positives). I am not sure if G&E intended the assembly to be used this way, but it is a very functional “tuning” system as provided.

Technical (stock)

I love this stock – it took me several months (and countless training sessions) to get it truly comfortable (too many options!) – but it is awesome in use. The balance of the stock with the Racer action in place is lighter in under the fore end than my standard prone stocks – making it much more comfortable in position (especially during long strings of fire, or when conditions make you go deep into the allotted time). I have had trouble in the past with several aluminum stocks I have owned, and convinced myself that they (as a whole) were not competitive with a traditional (bedded) wooden stock. The accuracy of this system has changed my mind. I have also modified a Stolle Grizzley action (with a bedding block) to fit this stock, and plan to use it this season for long range shooting. I have wanted to use a common stock for both disciplines for a long time now!

Use

There are several features about this rifle that are worth the money (for me, at least!). I love the short bolt, and the position of the loading port – it is right in front of your cheek making it easy to load in position (no matter how short your arms are!). I can (almost) load the rifle without lifting my right elbow from the matt! G&E claims the action can be loaded from the top “drop port”….which is a stretch! I have tried to do it on many occasions – the loading port drops as the bolt cycles and the round drops with it! I love the weight, love the balance.

Just a quick review, I hope it was not too painful to read (I was, and still am an abomination when it comes to spelling and grammer!)

Hope all of you had a great Christmas, wishing you the best in 2013!

kev
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

I'm still trying to wipe the tears away from my eyes. I have wanted one of these (or a Bleiker) for soooooo long. Sounds like they are even better than I imagined. Super thanks for the review.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Thanks for the review Kevin. The input of a top shooter like yourself is always valuable.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Nice review Kevin. Thanks
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

bluetentacle wrote:Thanks for the review Kevin. The input of a top shooter like yourself is always valuable.
Thanks for your commments - I think you are being far too kind though!!

I was hoping you would also post your review of the rifle, and I apologize if I made you change your mind. I was (and am) still looking forward to it, should you have time to write something!

Thanks again for the post,

kev
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Kevin, not at all. I've just been too busy. I now have some time though, and I'm hustling :-)

Your thoughts are valuable particularly because you've had experience with many other smallbore rifles. In contrast, the Racer is the only one I've had.

About the wear on the bolt. I've been shooting this gun for almost a year and half and the finish on the bolt is indeed very durable. There is some wear on my bolt, however, particularly on the bolt face, which rubs against a non-coated surface (the barrel).

I concur with your observation on the bloop tube--there is indeed some deformation on the tube "lugs". G+E has since modified the design. Instead of one row of three lugs, there are now two rows of lugs for a total of six, and this seems to eliminate the deformation. I will have side-by-side photos of the two generations of tubes in my review.
Lowey

Post by Lowey »

bluetentacle, I look forward to seeing the side by side photos of the tube, I had a close look at the new tube design on the weekend it looks good.

kevin nevius, I like your report and concur with all the details of the action , It is a fantastic action

Cheers
Lowey
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

Lowey:

I love the action in that stock - something about a traditional wood stock!

If you had time, I would really apprecaite your comments about the system too!

Thanks,

kev
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

The review of the Racer barreled action is now available. Read it here: https://sites.google.com/a/bluetentacle ... cer-action

Reviews on the stock and the buttplate will soon follow.
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

What is the price a complete Racer rifle?

Doug K.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Awesome review! Very thorough! I very much appreciate the time you spent putting that together.

Does the cheek rest get in the way of the bolt when open? I couldn't quite tell from the pics.

Thanks,

tenring
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

tenring, I'm using the G+E hinged cheekpiece to allow the bolt to clear. A picture is here:

http://sdrv.ms/W7MwS1

The reason this is necessary is that in my current setup, I'm very close to the action. I also have a large head. Most shooters tend to lie further back on the rifle and this shouldn't be a problem for them.

In my stock review, I'll be talking about the various cheekpiece options available for the G+E stock.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

Tony,

that is hands down the best written review of any rifle i have ever read.