Walther LP400 Grip Size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Swoffer

Walther LP400 Grip Size

Post by Swoffer »

I am now considering the purchase of the LP400 mainly due to chronic tennis elbow and the weight difference between this pistol and my Morini 162EI. Some time ago when I was not in the market I picked one up with a medium grip and I remember being surprised at how small (thin) the grip felt. Can anyone advise on this as I am normally a medium (although the 162EI medium grip feels like a large). I am definately a medium with Rink grips and my medium Morini CM22RF is a good fit. My hand is 90mm across measuring the knuckles as per the Rink website diagram. I don't have access to try the Walther again as there are none around my area.

I am also debating whether which model LP400 i.e. Alu or Carbon and would appreciate any comments re the 2 options. I have read previous threads but nothing definative that I can see which would point me to or away from either one. The carbon is lighter but wonder if too light i.e. muzzle flip? Light is better for my elbow
Thanks in advance for any comments
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

I tried one and found that the grip was very thin for a medium - much too thin for me although I otherwise use medium grips sizes. I suppose rink grips will comply to their usual size, so a rink medium will probably be the same regardless for which model it is made.

As you said, the carbon saves weight - nothing else. The carbon shroud itself has no function, it only hides the thin barrel (which looks a bit skinny, even though accuracy it surely top).

I strongly recommend that for both topics you try to find a way to test fire for yourself.
rmca

Post by rmca »

As to the grip, and if you can't test it first, I would buy the large one.
If it was to big you could either sell it and buy a medium one or file it down. I find it easier to file a grip than to add volume. You can still get a better finish if you have a all wood grip rather than wood plus epoxy resin (or something like it).

As for the alu vs carbon, the differences in muzzle flip will be very tiny. Almost all air pistols today have some sort of muzzle compensator or/and perforated barrel that will virtually eliminate that problem.
Also the difference in weight shouldn't be that significant. Spend some time warming up the shoulder and upper body before you start to shoot. It helps me a lot.
Richard Carter

Post by Richard Carter »

I to have problems with shooting my pistol.

I shoot with my second finger and griping with third and small finger, this makes the balance all wrong on my morini 162 ei pushing the front sight up and twisting pistol to the left causing pain just above elbow and into my shoulder.

Have thought about the Steyr LP10 Compact

I've tried the LP10 Compact which is much lighter in the hand,balance is great no pain at all.
And you will have a perfect medium gripe
dschaller

Re: Walther LP400 Grip Size

Post by dschaller »

Swoffer wrote:The carbon is lighter but wonder if too light i.e. muzzle flip? Light is better for my elbow
Thanks in advance for any comments
It is much easier to add weight to a gun if you decide it needs it than to remove weight from a gun that is too heavy....
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I shoot with my second finger and griping with third and small finger, this makes the balance all wrong on my morini 162 ei pushing the front sight up and twisting pistol to the left causing pain just above elbow and into my shoulder."

Richard, your grips don't fit. Find someone to help get them right before you hurt yourself. You don't need a new gun.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

Swoffer, the 2012 Walther catalog list the medium grip as 85 mm and the large as 93 mm. If you go to the Carl Walther Sporting Arms website and look for the 2010/2012 catalog, you will find pictures of all the recommended grip sizes. Looks like their grips run a bit smaller than normal.