Markings on newly recieved Toz

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
funtoz

Markings on newly recieved Toz

Post by funtoz »

This Toz has the fore end attached to a stud under the barrel and the front sight ramp is not removable. I believe that makes it a 35 and not a 35M?

The serial # is TZ1523, which seems low to me.

"Cal 22LR TG Knox TN" is stamped on the bottom of the barrel just forward of the fore end. Any idea why and by whom?

The coarse internet photo of the pistol appeared to have a Morini grip on it. The seller had no idea what a free pistol was and mostly raved about it shooting if you breathed on it. When it arrived it had a horribly butchered original grip. I suspect that someone used a hatchet to reduce the bulk of it before soaking it in motor oil. It is completely useless. Does anyone have a spare original grip that they would be willing to part with?

Larry
william

Post by william »

Don't get excited about the S/N. The letter prefix tells you more than the 1523, and AFAIK nobody understands what they say.

The other is an identifying roll mark required by law to be applied by any licensed importer.

You ask these questions, and you don't even know whether you have a 35 or a 35M?!?
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

william wrote: You ask these questions, and you don't even know whether you have a 35 or a 35M?!?
What makes you think I'm excited about the serial number? It looks low to me, much lower than the number on the Toz that I used to shoot . I'm hoping Igor or one of his buddies would know if this is one of the old pistols dumped into the US some time ago. The bore is clean and the trigger components functional, so the gun will shoot just fine once I get some way to hold onto it.

Sorry that I don't remember the difference between a 35 and a 35-M. Its been 6 years and my forgetfulness seems to be increasing over time. There were permanent versus removable sight ramps and barrel bands versus under barrel lugs. None of that affects the function, but I thought that it would be nice to have my memory banks refreshed. I didn't realize that it would be a faux pas.

I am aware that the Fed.s require the stamp on the barrel. What I really wondered about was the "Knox TN" My first thought was that it was a gun from Scott, but I don't find a Knox, TN on a map and Knoxville is nowhere near Mounteagle. I apologize for not being clearer. I think it would be neat to have one of Scott's guns. I always admired the way he supported the international shooters at the Nationals, and I always gave him my business when I could.

So I hope that I have justified my questions enough for you.

Now if somebody has an old grip that hasn't made it to the trash yet, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get to shooting the pistol. I will ultimately carve a new grip fitted to my hand, but that take a while to accomplish. I wish that I had kept my old Rink grip when I sold the old Toz, but I didn't. Like the Rink greatly, but I find it hard to pay as much for the grip as I did for the pistol. I'm not going to the Olympics anyway. I gave up that dream long ago.

Larry
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sounds like a Toz-35. The Toz35M you can see a band for the front sight and one to hold the fore end. This band wraps around the barrel and is a larger diameter. The Toz35 has the same bands wrapping around the barrel but they are hidden.

here is a photo I found of a Toz-35m
http://s84.beta.photobucket.com/user/ao ... 2.jpg.html
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

A 35m pic from the Free_Pistol forum....

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Free_Pistol/
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Another thing that points to it being one of the earlier pistols is the trigger pull adjusting nut, part #10. My old Toz had a plastic nut. This one has a metal nut. I greatly prefer the metal one. I always worried about the plastic one failing, then having to fabricate such a dinky little part. I am currently soaking off the old congealed lube.

Larry
j-team

Post by j-team »

Chris wrote:Sounds like a Toz-35. The Toz35M you can see a band for the front sight and one to hold the fore end. This band wraps around the barrel and is a larger diameter. The Toz35 has the same bands wrapping around the barrel but they are hidden.

Not quite, the 35 does has the band on the front sight base that is finished flush with the barrel so you can only see it if you look closely, but the fore-end attachment on the 35 is by way of a dovetailed block on the underside of the barrel.
scausi

toz35

Post by scausi »

Your ?? should be answered from the above replys, but the Toz 35 also has a round trigger guard and the 35m has more of a square one, see above pics
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

It is a 35 most likely the trigger nut has been replaced. i replaced mine so i could get a bit more weight on the trigger. I wouldnt think it is one of the early ones. my serial number starts with an a and has 2 letters and it still had the neoprene trigger screw